Author Topic: Feohanagh - pronunciation, please!  (Read 725 times)

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
Feohanagh - pronunciation, please!
« on: Friday 18 February 22 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi everybody,

I'm an Essex girl (OK, a bit old to be a girl now ;D) living in a village in Northern Germany.

Our neighbours a couple of houses away are farming folk, and their teenage daughter has managed to arrange a 5-week working visit to a farm in Co. Limerick. The name of the place is Feohanagh.

Can some kind soul please tell me how this is properly pronounced?

Many thanks indeed!

All the best,
Karen

McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Online athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Feohanagh - pronunciation, please!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 February 22 12:29 GMT (UK) »
click the little 'play' icon beside the name - Feohanagh , you can also hear the way to say it i Irish

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 February 22 12:36 GMT (UK) »
click the little 'play' icon beside the name - Feohanagh , you can also hear the way to say it i Irish

Brilliant! Thanks very much!  :-*

I'm a wee bit confused, though. The English version sounds roughly how I had expected, but the Irish pronunciation has me floored. Why does it sound like Anno Hanach? What happened to the "Fh" bit?  ???
(Just so that I can explain to the lass up the road...)

Thanks!

P.S. I love the bit at the bottom:
Properties
There is or was once a post office here.

Sounds as though it may be a tad remote...
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Online athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 February 22 12:44 GMT (UK) »
The 'An' prefix might be confusing the sound a little - also the Fh is softer than an F in Irish

Feohanagh is both a townland and a village . Part of the archive notes mentions the meaning - 'a place abounding in Thistles'

p.s. there also a river named Feohanagh in County Kerry

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 February 22 20:57 GMT (UK) »

I'm a wee bit confused, though. The English version sounds roughly how I had expected, but the Irish pronunciation has me floored. Why does it sound like Anno Hanach? What happened to the "Fh" bit?  ???
(Just so that I can explain to the lass up the road...)

Pronunciation may be changed depending on whatever precedes it. (That's the simplest explanation I can think of. My Irish is basic & rusty.)
Tell her the English version. Don't be confusing the lass.
I hope she won't be spending her time removing thistles. Donkeys would have dealt with thistles in the old days.
Cowban

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 February 22 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, athacliath62 and Maiden Stone!

Oh, dear...sounds as though there is a good chance it could be a bit thistly, then!

She will be living on a dairy farm. Maybe the cows keep the thistles in check.  :)

Her English is apparently pretty good (as with most teenagers here), and she is going to Dublin first for an English course.

I can only assume that the folk on the farm will speak English with her. At least, I hope they will!  :o

My husband comes from the Northern German coast, and a lot of his family speak the local "Platt" dialect when they are together. I speak fluent German, but no Platt. I understand next to nothing in Platt, although there is a certain amount of English mixed in with it. The family once tried to speak High German, specially for me, and after a few minutes they were in tears of laugher, because it was so weird for them to speak German to one another.  ::) ;D

Thanks again for your help!

(And sorry I put the thread in the wrong place - thanks to the mods for moving it!)