Author Topic: Recommendation on DNA testing  (Read 507 times)

Offline JoTH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - what a cutie!
    • View Profile
Recommendation on DNA testing
« on: Friday 18 February 22 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Wondering if anyone has used a company called CRI Genetics?  I have used Ancestry DNA for my tree, however my son is interested in taking a DNA test to be able to look at both paternal and maternal side.  He's interested in the history side of things as well as family tree, which is pretty much established on both sides.  I googled and found this CRI which also includes traits and health as well as history but am seeing mixed reviews for the company.

I'm open to other suggestions if anyone has other views on sites they've used.
TIA
Tulip, Button, Slater, Clay, Sleeman, Laverick, Whordley, Rowell.

Offline rsel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendation on DNA testing
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 February 22 07:23 GMT (UK) »
When you talk about looking at the paternal and Maternal side, are you referring to y-DNA and mtDNA testing?  If so i would recommend FTDNA, as they offer packages that do both of them and Autosomal DNA tests.  However, my personal experience is that the mtDNA really doesn't offer much use. The Y-DNA testing (if you get the Big-Y) test is providing lots of detail and as more people test, is rapidly expanding knowledge on historical migrations and population movements.

Richard
Sellens - Sussex
Newham - Surrey
Wellington - Dagenham, Essex
Camp - South Essex
Wren - Essex
Livermore - Essex
Wane - Essex
Fisk - Essex / Suffolk
Bailey/Bayley - Sussex
Newton - Sussex
Funnell - Sussex
Streeter - Sussex
Coates - Sussex
Maisey - Surrey

Offline JoTH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - what a cutie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 February 22 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your thoughts, Richard.

Joanna
Tulip, Button, Slater, Clay, Sleeman, Laverick, Whordley, Rowell.

Online melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 February 22 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Wondering if anyone has used a company called CRI Genetics?  I have used Ancestry DNA for my tree, however my son is interested in taking a DNA test to be able to look at both paternal and maternal side.  He's interested in the history side of things as well as family tree, which is pretty much established on both sides.  I googled and found this CRI which also includes traits and health as well as history but am seeing mixed reviews for the company.

I'm open to other suggestions if anyone has other views on sites they've used.
TIA
CRI Genetics is a tiny company and would have a tiny database of matches, so I'd say they wouldn't be the best bet. What fulfils all of your son's requirements is 23andme which gives information on the Y-DNA (for men) and MTDNA haplogroups and also provides DNA matches and traits. If you buy the full health test you have the option of getting a subscription for £20 a year which gives 5000 matches instead of 1500 and some extra search options for relatives and extra health data. But I would wait until the next sale as normally it is expensive at £150. On sale you can get it for as low as £79, the next sale will probably be at Easter, probably around DNA day on April 25th.