Author Topic: Bradford-on-Avon, George Cains marriage  (Read 929 times)

Offline pacaine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bradford-on-Avon, George Cains marriage
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 February 22 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Further to George Cains born circa 1781 living in Lacock in the 1820s, someone (anonymous) posted on the Family Search Tree that George's parents were Thomas Cains and Betty.  There is a record of Thomas Cain's baptism in Lacock October 1773 but not of any siblings.  If baptised as a child this would make him too young to be George's father.  Assuming Thomas to be the eldest are there any records of other Cains children of parents William and Rebecca in Lacock later in the 1780s maybe.
Thank You.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 February 22 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Can I ask what gives you George's birth at circa 1781? Is it from census or death or ..?

If there are no sources on the tree you mention, and it makes no logical sense ... then it probably is incorrect.  :)
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline pacaine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 February 22 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have taken George's birth year as approximate because it was taken from the 1841 Census and I believe age numbers were rounded at that time.   In the 1851 census he gave his age as 60.
It is possible that if Thomas Cains is related he could be George's brother and if so there may be a baptism record for him 8 or so years later.  All maybes of course.
Thanks again.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 February 22 22:58 GMT (UK) »
We are using different calculators.
If aged 60 in 1851, was he not born in 1791 (not 1781)?
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 February 22 23:11 GMT (UK) »

The only Lacock baptism for George to parents Thomas & Betty Cains, (that I can see), is in 1810.
I do not believe that could be correct.

Offline pacaine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 28 February 22 10:08 GMT (UK) »
It came to me in bed last night that I had put 1851 when in fact it was 1841 when his age was given as 60 and I thought it must be rounded and he could have been older.
My information about Thomas Cains came from the Family Search tree where it was claimed he was baptised in Lacock on 21st October 1773.  All the other information about George and Hester posted by this anonymous member proved to be false.

Offline pacaine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 March 22 23:09 GMT (UK) »
I believe that although the marriage of George and Hester Cains may not have taken place in Lacock, I think that in the 1841 Census George claimed to have been born there .  Is there any sign of a baptism for him between 1775 and 1785 (say) as he gives 60 as his age but they rounded the numbers on that census.  Many thanks again.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 11 March 22 03:26 GMT (UK) »
I believe that although the marriage of George and Hester Cains may not have taken place in Lacock, I think that in the 1841 Census George claimed to have been born there .  Is there any sign of a baptism for him between 1775 and 1785 (say) as he gives 60 as his age but they rounded the numbers on that census.  Many thanks again.
On the 1841 census you only see if a person was born in the county or not. Yes or No, but no specifics of birth place. George indicates he is not born in Yorkshire.

Added:There is a George CAINS baptised 15 Sep 1776 in Horsington (St John) Somerset.
Father- Noah CAINS

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 11 March 22 04:47 GMT (UK) »
George's death entry in 1849 Halifax gives his age as 74 i.e. bc.1775.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk