Author Topic: Vicar at Edrom, Berwickshire  (Read 1113 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Vicar at Edrom, Berwickshire
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 February 22 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Birth entry for George Marjoribanks Renny 1870 Edrom per SP
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 February 22 23:06 GMT (UK) »
George Renny married Mary Ellen Wilson (b Preston Lancs) in 13.7.1858 St George Bloomsbury.  His occ is shown as Captain but his father was Patrick - Clerk in orders

Her father was William Wilson - Esquire
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 19 February 22 23:13 GMT (UK) »
I think you can rule out the Free Church minister, George Renny. He was born in Arbroath, served as a minister in Port Elizabeth, South Africa, before returning to Scotland to become minister at Strathblane in 1870. The following year he became Free Church minister at Wick, a post he held until his death in 1897.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 19 February 22 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Reply 9 - I think that birth location plus the presence of George in Berwickshire in 1871 confirm he is the one I have shown in Yorkshire & in 1871 in Berwickshire

Perhaps there was some confusion between his fathers occupation?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 19 February 22 23:18 GMT (UK) »
In 1891 he is still in Yorkshire but in 1901 he is in Surrey aged 76 & has a new wife - also called Mary who is 46yrs younger than him at aged 30

Mary Ellen died 1894 Brentford & George remarried 1896 to Mary Catherine Wigmore b Hampshire. He died 1910 Berkshire.

His son George Marjoribanks Renny married 1898 in Essex to Eleanor Starling & can be found in Yorkshire in 1911

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 20 February 22 17:33 GMT (UK) »
There is a tree on Ancestry for him.  His father Patrick is shown as Rev

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 February 22 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Jan Stewart has asked me offline if the manse would necessarily be occupied by the minister.

A manse was, as far as I knew, always the residence of a man of religion. There are, for instance, remnants of manses associated with Elgin Cathedral that were occupied by priests or monks. Whether they actually used the word manse I cannot say.

The Oxford English Dictionary, however, does give the meaning of The principal house of an estate; a mansion but states that this is an obsolete usage. The usual meaning is Originally: an ecclesiastical residence (parochial or collegiate). Now: spec. a house allocated to or occupied by a minister of certain Nonconformist or non-episcopal Churches, esp. the Church of Scotland.

Chambers Dictionary defines a manse as an ecclesiastical residence, especially the residence of a Church of Scotland minister.

In the Presbyterian churches in Scotland, including the Church of Scotland, a congregation was pretty much obliged to provide a manse for the minister and his family to live in. I, and I think almost every Scot, would automatically infer that a manse is the house where the minister lives. So I think the answer to your question is 'Yes'. It would certainly not be occupied by anyone else as long as there were a congregation and a minister.

I had a look in the Valuation Rolls at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and the Manse of Edrom was always listed as occupied by a minister
1865 - Rev James Wilson
1875 - Rev George Gibson Gunn
1885 to 1907 - Rev Macduff Simpson
1916 to 1940 - Rev John Mackechnie
1941 - Rev James Scott

https://archive.org/details/fastiecclesiaesc02scot/page/42/mode/1up?view=theater contains brief information about all the known ministers of Edrom. Note that Rev James Wilson was the son of William Wilson, and that William Wilson, father, was living in the manse with Rev James in 1861 and 1871.

Have you looked at the birth certificate of George R, born 1870 whose parents were George Renny and Mary Ellen Wilson? Was Mary Ellen perhaps a relative of the Rev James Wilson?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 21 February 22 12:01 GMT (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 21 February 22 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Mary Ellen Wilson was illegitimate - no mmn

Births June qtr 1840 Mary Ellen Wilson Preston 21 604

However - there is a baptism 11.6.1840 @St John Preston - parents William & Mary Jane. William was a banker

All info re this family has been posted online & Jan is aware there is a tree on Ancestry & that George Renny’s father Patrick is shown as “Rev” on that tree.

See earlier reply from me re George’s 1858 marriage cert where Patrick is shown as “clerk in orders”

Given tbat George was in Berwickshire in 1870 & 1871 & that his son was born in Edrom in 1870 I think it would be a massive (& unlikely) coincidence that this is not the right George - particularly given his fathers occupation

All available info from his marriage to death has already been provided