Author Topic: Mary Cummings Limavady Workhouse.  (Read 347 times)

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Cummings Limavady Workhouse.
« on: Saturday 19 February 22 21:09 GMT (UK) »

Hello,
It is a very long time since I posted , but I am looking for some help as to where I might find the Baptismal Register for Limavady Workhouse Chapel .

My ancestor Mary Cummings gave birth to a daughter also called Mary Cummings on 16th April 1885 in Limavady Workhouse.

The Civil Birth Certificate gives no address for Mary but does give her occupation as Domestic Servant.

Looking for further information on Mary Cummings, I contacted PRONI to see whether Mary Cummings was recorded in the Workhouse  Admissions & Discharge Registers or in the Hospital Chapel Baptismal Registers.

Unfortunately, PRONI does not have them for Limavady Workhouse.

Is there any other place that they may be located as this Mary Cummings is proving very elusive indeed and I would really love to know where she came from?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Summerhill.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Cummings Limavady Workhouse.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 February 22 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Here is a link
https://www.workhouses.org.uk/NewtownLimavady/

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/242175?availability=Family%20History%20Library

When I was in Limavady getting to know my G'mother's birthplace I was fortunate to find out about a local history group.  They were having a meeting in the old workhouse.  Finding them was quite a fluke.  When I was there I found out all sorts of things about Limavady etc and went to two of their meetings.

I did have a contact for them but it is long gone.  If you search on the site for the current Limavady you may find a link to them in the list of clubs.

Not saying they will have the records but they may know who does and good contacts.   

Limavady used to be known as Newtown Limavady

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 February 22 01:36 GMT (UK) »
In principle, all the surviving records for workhouses in what is now Northern Ireland have been deposited in PRONI. Many of the admission records are missing. If PRONI don’t have the records you need, then they have probably been lost. (My understanding of Limavady's admission records is they have nothing pre 1899).

It’s probably of no use to you but the Causeway Coast & Glens Branch of the North of Ireland Family History Society is currently transcribing death records from Limavady Workhouse from 1844 to 31.12.1863 to put on their website. These deaths were recorded in the Master’s Journal (which is in PRONI). Unfortunately he didn’t also record births, just deaths.
Elwyn

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 April 22 21:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your replies.

I did contact Limavady Catholic church  to see if Mary Cummings was on their baptismal registers but sorry to say she is not.  I will try the other churches in Limavady and surrounding areas and see if I have any luck. My Cummings ancestors were Presbyterian and attended Magilligan Presbyterian Church.  My third Great Grandfather married a catholic lady,however he remained a Presbyterian according to Magilligan Presbyterian church census of the congregation (1855) but his wife and family were RC according to that census and not named. However, I have her name and all the children ones. However, timeline wise this Mary Cummings is not from that particular branch.

The mystery goes on ......

Summerhill.