Author Topic: Trying to Find Death/Burial of Jane Scotter  (Read 317 times)

Offline rutht22000

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to Find Death/Burial of Jane Scotter
« on: Sunday 20 February 22 10:09 GMT (UK) »
I am lost for the death of Jane Scotter and wonder if anyone can shed any light on it?

She was the wife of Edwin Scotter and they married at Berwick in 1852. Jane was 18 so born circa 1834.

They are in Newcastle in 1861 (Household schedule number 72, Piece 3828, Folio 37, Page number 14), but in 1868 Edwin remarries so at least that pins down the time scale were are looking at between 1861 and 1868.

There is a death of a Jane Scotter on freebmd in Newcastle in 1866 but that Jane is 10+ years older than 'my' Jane would have been (43 -v- 32 - unless of course the age is transcribed wrong).

Thank you  :)

Jeacock
Colebourne
Shepherd
Scotter
Sievers
Knowles
Pritchard
Lilley
Hart/Hertz
Woodmansey
Monnington
Thomas (South Wales)
John (South Wales)
Pearce (South Wales)

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to Find Death/Burial of Jane Scotter
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 February 22 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked the 1861 Census for Edwin and Jane? She clearly states her age as 32 years and born in Berwick upon Tweed. Have you checked for her birth, she was born in 1828 in Spittal (part of Berwick upon Tweed), Ancroft, father Andrew, mother Dorothy.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 February 22 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Don't forget that the information given at the time of the registration of a death is only as good as the knowledge of the person giving it.
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 February 22 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I don’t have an answer to your query, but I have to ask: is the niece Mary Cran(?) in the 1861 census the same person as his second wife Mary Oran, whose family are living with the Scotters in the 1871 census?
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 February 22 14:05 GMT (UK) »
I tried the newspapers but as the OCR is so hit and miss, unless you trawl though every edition in the first quarter of 1866 to be sure there may be a death announcement which may give a husband's name and a burial location. Obviously a date of death would help with that.

The registration you have seems to be the only possible for the name, time frame  and location and the newer online GRO index has the same age at death, so its looking like a pdf of the death register is the best way forward. That at least should give you a place of death and her husband's name.Can be ordered from the GRO website at a cost of £7.

Interestingly there was a death in Q1 1869, of a Mary Jane Scotter, aged 2 on the GRO site and a likely corresponding birth reg in Q4 1866 gives her MMN as Cran - but the only Scotter-Cran marriage I can see is the one in 1868.

Boo

Offline rutht22000

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 February 22 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I don’t have an answer to your query, but I have to ask: is the niece Mary Cran(?) in the 1861 census the same person as his second wife Mary Oran, whose family are living with the Scotters in the 1871 census?

Hi

Yes it's the same person.  I think she was somehow related to Jane - she doesn't belong on Edwin's side - but not sure how quite yet
Jeacock
Colebourne
Shepherd
Scotter
Sievers
Knowles
Pritchard
Lilley
Hart/Hertz
Woodmansey
Monnington
Thomas (South Wales)
John (South Wales)
Pearce (South Wales)

Offline rutht22000

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 February 22 20:03 GMT (UK) »
I tried the newspapers but as the OCR is so hit and miss, unless you trawl though every edition in the first quarter of 1866 to be sure there may be a death announcement which may give a husband's name and a burial location. Obviously a date of death would help with that.

The registration you have seems to be the only possible for the name, time frame  and location and the newer online GRO index has the same age at death, so its looking like a pdf of the death register is the best way forward. That at least should give you a place of death and her husband's name.Can be ordered from the GRO website at a cost of £7.

Interestingly there was a death in Q1 1869, of a Mary Jane Scotter, aged 2 on the GRO site and a likely corresponding birth reg in Q4 1866 gives her MMN as Cran - but the only Scotter-Cran marriage I can see is the one in 1868.

Boo
Hi

Thank you for that.   Mary Cran lived with Edwin and Jane and was with them in 1861.  That baby born in 1866 is this Edwin and Mary's and she was born before they married.  It may well have been that something was going on with Edwin and Mary before Jane died.   :-\
Jeacock
Colebourne
Shepherd
Scotter
Sievers
Knowles
Pritchard
Lilley
Hart/Hertz
Woodmansey
Monnington
Thomas (South Wales)