Author Topic: Thomas Anderson Servant of Conway Dobbs, Carrickfergus and Ballynure  (Read 191 times)

Offline tonythurston

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Anderson Servant of Conway Dobbs, Carrickfergus and Ballynure
« on: Sunday 20 February 22 10:40 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure whether I should post my question in Antrim or Midlothian?

My family is descended from John Anderson (1830 - 1900). I am completely stuck trying to find John's ancestors although I know his family and life in Carrickfergus and then Shankhill from 1845

From an extract of Ballynure Old Church Gravestones I am investigating Thomas (1808 - 1883) as a possible father of John Anderson:

"Erected by Thomas Anderson to the memory of his beloved daughter Alice Jane who departed this life 11 Aug 1858 aged 19 years. Also, his beloved daughter Susan departed this life on 20 Jul 1862 aged 27 years. Thomas Anderson died at Ballynure on 17 Sep 1883 aged 75 years. Also, his wife Jane Anderson died 07 Mar 1888 aged 80 years."

On Thomas's death certificate his occupation is a butler and in the Belfast Newsletter on 22 Sep 1883, his obituary says he was a loyal servant for Conway Dobbs of Dobbs Castle for nearly 60 years.

Thomas's wife Jane died after Thomas and their son John was present at her death. From John's death record in Belfast in 1900 he was born abt. 1830. I am trying to trace Thomas, Jane and John's birth records which are implied around 1808, 1808 and 1830 respectively. In my family, John is described as a serving-man from Edinburgh but the records could be Ireland or Scotland. If  Thomas served Conway for nearly 60 years then roughly 1825 he started working for Conway aged around 16 to 21 years old

I am happy to post any further information. I would be extremely grateful for any steps I can take to unravel the Anderson and Dobbs connection and the origins of Thomas, please

Thank you