Author Topic: Expert on Scottish maps needed  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Expert on Scottish maps needed
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 23 February 22 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that's the one. Horrendous.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 23 February 22 22:04 GMT (UK) »
 :o Amazing!

That’ll keep you out of mischief for a while.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 23 February 22 22:10 GMT (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 25 February 22 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ruskie.
Just to give you taste .......
This is about 1/8 of a whole page, so zoomed in on many times.
Quite beautiful, but deadly to transcribe!  ::)

pertanents yrof Lyeing within the Barrony of [        ] and Shreffdome of Lanerk As alse all & haill these Six rudes of Land or therby [in?]
[that?] [      ] commonly called the Eist croft adjacent to the [   ]f[]rringtoun belonging to David Pollocke portioner of overmiltoun and
lying near to ye rest of ye sd Ten Shiling Land a[bove]disponed and that in prin[cip]a[ll] And all and haill the Sixteen Shiling Eight penny Land
of old Extent of overmiltoun belongeing to ye sd David Pollock in speceall warrandice and Security of the sd six ruds of Land or therby all
[  ]ing as [      ] as ye sds prin[cipa]ll Lands is presently possest by ye sd James Barnes As ye sd Dispositione containing therintill a speceall [               ]
[       ] in favours of ye sd Arthur Gilmore [        ] aftermen[tione]d obleidgement to infeft & seise pro[curacy] of Resignation absolut [       ] of
[    ] assignation to ye maills & dutyes wryts & Evidents & precept of sasine & ever all other uitnesses & obleidgements of ye date forsd and
[       ][fully read?] And past with Robert Watsone smith in Braehead baillie in yt pairt specilly constitute by vertue of ye precept of sasine
[contained] in ye sd Dispositione And afterinsert on ye ground of yr Lands & others a[bove]disponed both prin[cipa]ll and warrandice and there ye sd Arthur
Gilmure for himself and as actorney forsd Exhibited presented & Delyvered to ye sd Robert Watsone Baillie in yt pairt forsd ye forsd Dispositione
humbly desyreing and requesteing him to putt ye precept of sasine yrin contaned in all due & Am[p]ill Execution which desire ye sd Baillie finding
just and reasonable he receaved ye same into his hands & delivered ye same to me notter publick Suteing to be by me pre[se]ntly read & published
in audience & presence of him & witnesses then present afternamed & Suteing which all amply I Did and of ye q[ui]ch precept of sasine ye tenor
[        ]Attour to ye efect ye sd Arthur Gilmure And failyeing of him by Deceise ye sd James Gilmure his sire & his forsds may be instantly infeft
and seased in ye Lands & uthers a[bove]disponed both prin[cipa]ll and warrandice with ye pertanents to be held in manner a[bove]men[tione]d [                  ] forsd
heirby desyrs & requyrs yow Robert Watsone smith in Braehead and each of yow con[junct]lly & sea[vera]lly our Baillies in that part to ye effect afterspec[ifie]d
specally constitute greeting It is our will and we desire and require yow that incontinent thir presents seein ye pass & Give & delyver be [   ]
state and sasine Actuall real & corporall possession of all and haill ye forsd ten Shiling Lands of old Extent of overmiltoun allies [= otherwise] Chapeltoun
with howses bigyngs yeards moses mals [= males = rents]  and @rents [=  annualrents] pairts pendicles & pertinents yrof q[uha]tsowever and of ye sds Six ruds of croft Land or ther
by and perta[n]ents yrof as prin[cipa]ll as alse [= also] of ye sd Sixteen Shiling Eight penny Land of old Extent of overmiltoun a[bove]spec[ifie]d
warrandice and securety of ye sd Six ruds of Land forsd Lyeing and possest in manner forsd to ye sd  [     ]
[           ] to ye sd James Gilmure his Sire & his forsds or to there certain actornyes in yr names bearers hereof by Deliverance to them of there

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 25 February 22 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Applause! :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 26 February 22 03:21 GMT (UK) »
Gosh GR2. I bet you had fun! ;) well done you.
If I knew you were going to transcribe it, I'd have posted a bit from one of the actual sasines related to my family! This was just a random clip from one of the pages I have - they come in double spread, so this is probably the page before or after one of mine.

I'm just about to put part of one I found for David Crawford which is in Latin on the deciphering Board.
It's not this same clerk so it's not too difficult to read, apart from it being in Latin!

For anybody still interested, I did find the sasine in 1706 in which David Crawford was given the lands on which Stobieside was eventually built - given as 'Drumboy, Hairshaw' (that's the next farm north from Stobieside), and 'the lands of Meadowfoot'. from 'the high and mighty princess Anne Duchess of Hamilton'. ('Stobieside is not mentioned specifically in it). He was secretary, and some say also lawyer, to Anne, and seems to have been given bits of land in several different places. He sold off Meadowfoot and Drumclog in 1735, and Hairshaw in 1736.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs