Author Topic: Expert on Scottish maps needed  (Read 1692 times)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Expert on Scottish maps needed
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 February 22 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks everybody for your input.

There are separate farms of Drumboy and Drumclog - in fact there are more than one Drumclog farmsteads.

I have SO many Sasines!

As far as I can find, the first sale of ‘Stobieside’ as specifically mentioned, was in a sasine of 1777 to a William Hamilton, who was still there in the 1797 Farm horse Tax you found GR2.

My ancestor bought ‘The lands of Meadowfoot’ in 1735. The Sasine mentions “houses biggings and haill parts pendicles and pertinents thereof”, but doesn’t mention Stobieside specifically. At that time he was ‘in Drumclog’, I think still living there with his father and mother. He had come into an inheritance of a house  from his mother’s family in Strathaven, 'portioners', and sold it, presumably using this money to buy the land. There are several more Sasines in the 1740s where he comes into some more land from his mother, where he is still ‘in Drumclog’. It’s not until 1751 in two marriage settlement sasines, (one for him, and one for his daughter), when he is given as ‘of Stobbieside’.
This is the first instance of the name I have found.

Do you know if you can search the Register of Sasines on-line somewhere Forfarian? You seem to have been able to access them for Lanarkshire.
I don’t think they are on Scotlandspeople. I know when I was searching for these some years ago, I unbelievably found the indexes to them in the city library here on the other side of the world. Some years later, I wish I had photographed more pages.
Would you be able to check if there are any entries for a David Crawford at Meadowfoot or possible named as Allenton? As I say, he sold the land in 1735. I have that Sasine, but there may be ealier ones I could look at to see if anything is mentioned.
(The city library is some 25kms from me, and I’m not sure it’s even open for research under Covid restrictions).

Thanks very much again everybody
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 February 22 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Do you know if you can search the Register of Sasines on-line somewhere Forfarian? You seem to have been able to access them for Lanarkshire.
I do know that they are not searchable online. See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=26232.msg5252444#msg5252444, which is the last post in the thread I gave the link to before. I cannot access the actual sasines, or the indexes (Abridgments) after 1780, without going to Register House in Edinburgh, and at the moment the PC terminals necessary to search the Abridgments or view the original sasines are unavailable.

I do have copies of the pre-1780 indexes for Lanarkshire.

Would you be able to check if there are any entries for a David Crawford at Meadowfoot or possible named as Allenton? As I say, he sold the land in 1735. I have that Sasine, but there may be ealier ones I could look at to see if anything is mentioned
There are 24 sasines mentioning David Crawford of Allanton, secretary to Ann, Duchess of Hamilton. 9 are in the index for 1607-1720, and 15 in 1720-1780. In the first index his wife's name is given as Ann Cockburn.

There are no references to David Crawford of Meadowfoot.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 February 22 03:31 GMT (UK) »
Well that's very interesting Forfarian.
There is no mention in the 1735 Sasine I have that he is 'secretary to the Duchess of Hamilton'.

Might you be able to give me some of the numbers of the Sasines in which he appears as of Allarton?
The 1735 one I have is XIV 289.
Perhaps those from 1720 up that date of 1735, if that's not too big an ask.
Thank you very much for your help.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 February 22 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Easier just to give you all the numbers, because the index gives the volume and page number but not the date
All RS42 then X.383; XI.170, 320, 321, 413; XII. 13, 388, 468, 469; XIII.87, 134, 572; XIV.16, 233, 273, 289 (ter), 293, 335; XV.100, 104, 254; XX.415
His wife Anne Cockburn XI.320 (bis), 321.
Volume dates are
X. 1693-1699
XI. 1699-1709
XII. 1709-1719
XIII. 1719-1729
XIV. 1729-1745
XV. 1745-1751
XX. 1772-1778
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 February 22 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Forfarian.
That will give me something to plough through!

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 February 22 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Good luck :)

There's one clerk in the Lanarkshire Sasines office in the late 1700s whose handwriting is close to indecipherable. I have never been able to make any sense out of any sasines recorded by him!

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 February 22 23:31 GMT (UK) »
I think that must be the same one I've seen!  :o
It is really is horrendous, and a real mind-stretching exercise to make any headway in transcribing them.
I think I'm right in saying the clerks had to pay for the books the Sasines are written in themselves, so not only do you have to deal with old handwriting, legal terms and all that particularly old Scots vocabulary, but also the fact they made their writing as small and squashed together as possible to use the least amount of the page as they possibly could!
What a headache!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 23 February 22 08:02 GMT (UK) »
That sounds very challenging goldie. I hope you can find the records you seek. Good luck.  :)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 23 February 22 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ruskie.
Just to give you taste .......
This is about 1/8 of a whole page, so zoomed in on many times.
Quite beautiful, but deadly to transcribe!  ::)