Author Topic: “Stretton Fields, Warwickshire”  (Read 514 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
“Stretton Fields, Warwickshire”
« on: Monday 21 February 22 09:55 GMT (UK) »
The will of Richard Hunt of Dunton Bassett, Leicestershire, husbandman, left a legacy to Robert Whitmore of “Stretton Fields, Warwickshire”, his son-in-law. Robert had married Richard’s daughter, Dorcas, in Dunton in 1715.

In 1755 a Thomas Hunt, who a convoluted trail of evidence suggests was Thomas the son of Dorcas’s younger brother Thomas, married Alice Binley in Chilvers Coton, Warwickshire. She may well be the Alice Bindley baptised in Nuneaton in 1735.

I have found Stretton en le Field, but whilst near to north Warwickshire, it actually seems to be in Derbyshire. Is there maybe another Stretton Fields. A possible Warwickshire connection between these descendants of Richard Hunt seems suggestive.
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: “Stretton Fields, Warwickshire”
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 February 22 10:58 GMT (UK) »
"An Act for making and maintaining a navigable canal from the Coventry canal navigation, to the City of Oxford", author Parliament Great Britain, date published 1769.

"Provided always, and be it further enacted, by the Authority aforesaid, that nothing in this Act contained shall be construed to extend to impower the said Company of Proprietors, their Successors or Assigns, to make or erect in any of the lands of the Right Honourable the Lord Craven, situate between Hoppesford Lordship and Stretton Fields ...".

Assume "Hoppesford" is "Hopsford" just outside Coventry.

Reference to "Stretton Stop" and "Hopdford Aqueduct".
https://canalplan.uk/place/i6af
https://canalplan.uk/place/m1h8

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 February 22 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks. I just “Googled” Hoppesford Lordship and it brought up a link to a work on the place names of Warwickshire. In that work, I’ve found a reference to Stretton Fields and it seems to connect with a place called Stretton Baskerville, which appears to be a site some 2 miles from Chilvers Coton: extremely suggestive in terms of my Hunt links. So maybe your Stretton and this one are not the same place, but if not, it’s entirely due to your clue that I’ve got there!

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 February 22 12:09 GMT (UK) »
"Many Strettons there are in Warwickshire, all of which take their names, says Sir William Dugdale, from some great road, near unto which they are situate, as Stretton Baskerville does from Watling Street...."
Author William Borlase, published 1754

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 February 22 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I found that very interesting. It seems to be true of the Strettons in Leicestershire too, because Great Stretton (a deserted village like Stretton Baskerville) and Little Stretton both lie beside the Gartree Road, the Roman road leading from Leicester towards Colchester.

One of the things I love about family history is the way it leads into so many byways of historical study.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 February 22 17:54 GMT (UK) »

One of the things I love about family history is the way it leads into so many byways of historical study.

Agreed!!
There's a Stretton Field/Stretton Common Field (singular) in Stretton on the Foss on the Warwickshire/Gloucester border. Think this can be ruled out.

Offline Al in Vane

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 May 22 12:43 BST (UK) »
Sretton Fields are roughly to the east of Nuneaton(Chilvers Coton) next to the Watling Street, as Davedrave said it is about two miles from Chilvers Coton.

Offline Al in Vane

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 May 22 12:42 BST (UK) »
Forgot to add that Stretton House is still extant at that spot next to Watling Street.
Apologies, missed the T out of Stretton in my previous post.