Author Topic: Where did I find Marjorie Poole?  (Read 1284 times)

Online teragram31510

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where did I find Marjorie Poole?
« on: Monday 21 February 22 16:50 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to put a bit of order in my records and check I've got at least some kind of source for each bit of information!

For some reason a few years ago I noted that John Poole (my 9x great grandfather), born about 1556, probably in Baltonsborough or Whitelackington, and who married a Johane, had 4 children - Agnes, George, Anthonie and Marjorie. Agnes' death is recorded at Baltonsborough in 1588, as an infant. I have no baptisms for George or Anthonie but they defintiely existed as they are mentioned in the will of their uncle Thomas of Whitelackington of 1618 (d. 1623) (elder brother of John). The will has an enormous amount of family information which I have just reread, but absolutely no mention of a niece named Marjorie/Margery.

Grandfather Anthonie of Whitelackington died in 1588 and made a will in 1587 before several grandchildren were born. His wife was a Marjorie who died 1606 and was buried also in Whitelackington.

Where did I "invent" John's daughter Marjorie from? She's not of critical importance to my research, just brings into question the state of my brain!!!
Can anyone find her anywhere?
Somerset: Poole, Hutchings/Hutchin(s), Harvey/Harvie, Bullen

Offline 3lle00

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Where did I find Marjorie Poole?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 March 22 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi do you have a marriage date for John to Johahe? :)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 15:35 BST (UK) »
Marriage 13 Feb 1560 John Poole Johane Gooden North Petherton

This is from a transcription record only.  If he was born 1556 he won't be marrying at age 4.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 15:42 BST (UK) »
There's a Marjorie Poole baptism 6 Nov 1575 Taunton St Mary
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Online teragram31510

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 16:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies 3lle00 and Milliepede.

No I don't have a marriage date for John though I have several for Johns who married Joans/Johanes/Joanes/Jones in the mid 1550s. Indeed I suspect he may not have been married by 1587 - certainly no children of his are bequeathed anything in John's father's will whereas he (Anthonie) does bequeath £4 and a heifer to each of his 2 older granddaughters, £4 to an older grandson and 6s 8d to the younger ones (the children of his two married daughters) and nephews and nieces by his brother.

I don't have the baptism record from Taunton but suspect it is probably too early.
Back at the time I mostly used Freereg, then joined The Genealogist, but didn't find anything. I know John married a Johane only because his brother Thomas mentions her in his will of 1618 (John is already deceased but Johane holds the lease of land Thomas already gave her to pass to her son Anthonie).

Online teragram31510

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 April 22 11:14 BST (UK) »
Just reread Anthonie's will: he bequeaths land etc to his son John the lease to be continued by his wife (ie Johane, though her name is not given) as long as she stays a widow after the death of John. So John was married by June 1587 when his father wrote his will, but probably had not yet had children (Agnes perhaps born late 1587, was buried 1588).