Author Topic: Confusion in the Putland family  (Read 467 times)

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Confusion in the Putland family
« on: Tuesday 22 February 22 02:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone.
I am trying to sort out the family of Arthur George Putland bc1868, son of George James Putland (1848-1903) and Sarah Hutchins (1851-1935) who married 1867 in Bethnal Green.
Arthur George married Emma Woodhouse in 1900 Islington and the 1901 Census has Emma in Islington with children Nellie b1895; Walter b1896 and Arthur b1899.
So far so good, bit unusual but that is nothing new.
I checked the gro birth registrations for the 3 children and came up with
Nellie Georgina b1894 Islington Sep qtr 1b 200; Walter John b1896 Islington Mar 1b 199 and Arthur George b1898 Edmonton 3a 432 - all with mother's maiden name of Hutchins.
I haven't found any children born to a Putland with mmn of Woodhouse from 1894 - 1905 there
and of course, haven't come across a 1911 census for this family.
I am wondering if (assuming that it was Arthur George who registered the births) he put down his mother's name .
Another point is that his mother had a child in 1894 (Jessie May).
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Confusion in the Putland family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 February 22 02:47 GMT (UK) »
In 1911 family are in Islington with just the 3 sons so no children born to them after the marriage in 1900.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 February 22 04:56 GMT (UK) »
Emma is 42 in the 1901 census, so the 1900 marriage is unlikely to be her first.

There is a marriage in Hackney in 1875 between Emma HUTCHINS & (same page) Henry Thomas WOODHOUSE

Listed as visitors in 1901 are John & Gertrude Woodhouse, and their births have the mother's maiden name HUTCHINS, suggesting they are Emma's children from her first marriage:

In 1881 Henry T WOODHOUSE & wife Emma are at Elsden Road, Tottenham with children Gertrude, Sarah E & Florence A - RG11/1381/65/65

In 1891 Emma WOODHOUSE and 5 year old son John are lodging in Hackney.  Emma says she is married, but there is no husband with her - RG12/189/50/33

Gertrude is in Chase Farm Schools, Enfield - RG12/1089/107/3
Florence is also in Chase Farm Schools, Enfield - RG12/1089/107/9

I'm not immediately seeing Sarah Emily.

WOODHOUSE, GERTRUDE  mmn HUTCHINS  GRO Reference: 1876  J Quarter in HACKNEY  Volume 01B  Page 490
WOODHOUSE, SARAH  EMILY mmn HUTCHINS  GRO Reference: 1879  M Quarter in HACKNEY  Volume 01B  Page 489
WOODHOUSE, FLORENCE  ANNIE mmn HUTCHINS  GRO Reference: 1881  M Quarter in EDMONTON  Volume 03A  Page 273
WOODHOUSE, JOHN  AUGUSTUS mmn HUTCHINS  GRO Reference: 1885  D Quarter in HACKNEY  Volume 01B  Page 506
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 February 22 06:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your responses.
The earlier marriage of Emma Hutchins would explain the situation. I have had a quick look to see if Emma was a close relative of Sarah Hutchins (Arthur G's mother) but haven't found a connection yet.
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more