Author Topic: parents of Mary Ann STANBURY of South Tawton  (Read 1347 times)

Offline nudge67

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
parents of Mary Ann STANBURY of South Tawton
« on: Tuesday 22 February 22 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I'm looking for any information relating to the parents of Mary Ann STANBURY. She married John WAYE in Sampford Courtenay on 21 May 1831, both listed as of this parish, witnesses were James CANN & Ann STANBURY.

In the 1851 census she is 40 and at South Tawton with her husband and seven children. Her birthplace is listed as South Tawton.

The FamilySearch Tree have her as Mary Ann, christened 24 Feb 1811, parents as Thomas STANBURY (c. 21 Jun 1788) and Elizabeth CANN (c. 20 May 1787) of South Tawton, married 15 May 1808 at South Tawton. No sources are supplied, and nothing on the IGI or FreeReg to support any of this.

on Find-A-Grave she is Mary Ann Stanbury Waye b. 17 Dec 1810 at Dalwood, East Devon.

Mary Ann has several siblings listed, most born before the marriage the first when her mother was 10! so it all looks dodgy. Can I get any supporting info to confirm or correct what I have?

Thanks
Nudge
NSW Convict 1836: Peter WIFFIN (alias VIVIAN)
VDL Convict 1841: Richard REES
SA Pioneers (<1847): Hornsby, Wallis, Willoughby, Floate, Mills, Chesson, Degenhardt.
SA Old Colonists (<1857): Messenger, Tyler, McFeat, Ladner, Edwards, Cassidy, Rhodes, Shaw, Waye, Sibly.
SA Colonists (<1901): Jones, Pike, Bowyer, Davey.

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: parents of Mary Ann STANBURY of South Tawton
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 February 22 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Find My Past have the banns/marriage record with image:

Devon Marriages And Banns
Thomas Stanbury
Betty Cann
South Tawton, Devon

NOTE: Two women named Betty Cann baptised in South Tawton. One in 1783, the other in 1787.

Betty Cann bap 1783 - parents William & Mary.
Betty Cann bap 1787 - parents Alexander & Joanna.

Offline nudge67

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 February 22 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.

Family Search has the 1787 birth with Alexander & Joanna, but without any sources attached.

I appreciate your taking the time to look for me.

Nudge.
NSW Convict 1836: Peter WIFFIN (alias VIVIAN)
VDL Convict 1841: Richard REES
SA Pioneers (<1847): Hornsby, Wallis, Willoughby, Floate, Mills, Chesson, Degenhardt.
SA Old Colonists (<1857): Messenger, Tyler, McFeat, Ladner, Edwards, Cassidy, Rhodes, Shaw, Waye, Sibly.
SA Colonists (<1901): Jones, Pike, Bowyer, Davey.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 February 22 16:49 GMT (UK) »
The South Tawton baptism in 1811 shows her name to be just Mary, not Mary Ann. Similarly, the marriage to John WAYE also lists her as Mary STANBU(A)RY, not Mary Ann. The Find-a-grave actual headstone also lists her name as Mary, not Mary Ann - where did the 'Ann' come from? Both 1841 and 1851 call her Mary as well.
There is a Mary Ann STANBURY baptised at Dalwood 27 Jan 1811, said to be born 1810 - daughter of John & Elizabeth, but is that the same woman who married John WAYE? UPDATE - I've looked at a film of the actual Dalwood register - it reads: Maryann, the daughter of Daniel and Elizabeth STADBURY was born Dec the 17 1810 and was baptized January the 27 1811.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline historyman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 July 22 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Nudge
Have you resolved your query? If not suggest you look at the exchange on Rootschat re William Stanbury of Hatherleigh. I think the Will of John Stanbury Sergemaker of S Tawton 1809 may point to your Thomas

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 July 22 23:04 BST (UK) »
There are many families named Stanbury in South Tawton.

Historyman has given you a place to start.

There is a Thomas Stanbury who marries Elizabeth Rowe 1795 has children William 1795 and James 1797.
He is not your Thomas but perhaps where the confusion starts

Offline historyman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 July 22 12:16 BST (UK) »
The South Tawton Family History website contains details of the ship on which this family migrated to Australia. Mary is plain Mary not Mary Ann