Author Topic: Variation in shared DNA  (Read 387 times)

Offline Max2121

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Variation in shared DNA
« on: Wednesday 23 February 22 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I just thought I would put this out there in case it may help anyone confused about a DNA match with reference to shared cm.
My sister and I have both taken a DNA test and obviously have the same shared matches, however one we have noticed (and there are no doubt more) has quite a difference between us.
Our match shares 25 cm over 4 segments with myself but shares 221 cm over 10 segments with my sister.
I understand the basics of how we share 50/50 with parents but the bits we get can vary between siblings etc.
I just thought I would post in case it may help in some way if somebody has something that doesn't quite make sense.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Variation in shared DNA
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 February 22 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I just thought I would put this out there in case it may help anyone confused about a DNA match with reference to shared cm.
My sister and I have both taken a DNA test and obviously have the same shared matches, however one we have noticed (and there are no doubt more) has quite a difference between us.
Our match shares 25 cm over 4 segments with myself but shares 221 cm over 10 segments with my sister.
I understand the basics of how we share 50/50 with parents but the bits we get can vary between siblings etc.
I just thought I would post in case it may help in some way if somebody has something that doesn't quite make sense.
Yes, this is the case :), and is a good reason why it is a good idea to get a test for several siblings if you can, as they will all have inherited 50% different connections to various ancestors and thus cousins. Using GEDMATCH you can actually do something called Lazarus, which uses uploads from siblings and close relatives on at least one of the parent's sides to try and recreate the DNA profile of parents who have passed on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzNNPB0C9lU

Offline Max2121

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Variation in shared DNA
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 February 22 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Oh great thanks I will go and have a look