Author Topic: Search Options in SP Changed?  (Read 17277 times)

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Search Options in SP Changed?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 26 February 22 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Chris Paton has added a further update. Apparently fuzzy matching and name variants were removed due to incorrect matching.

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 26 February 22 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again for the update, Carlineric. To see the full explanation you have to go to Chris Patons latest post on 25th February at https://scottishgenes.blogspot.com/2022/02/scotlandspeople-explains-recent-search.html

That explanation is very disappointing given their earlier response which did sound as though they were going to reintroduce them. Their reasoning is faulty in my view. Of course, both options had faults but they were valuable and anyone with some experience understood they were not perfect. To suggest the phonetic option does not contain the same faults in even greater measure suggests to me that they have not thought this through. I agree with Annie - a backward step. Disappointing given some of the improvements they have made - mothers maiden name being one.

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 02 July 22 00:12 BST (UK) »
Oh well, it's not as tiresome as the change that can make it so awkward to search for deaths of married women using both surnames.

For some combinations of surnames, you often get "Your search for 'other surname' returns too many results, please narrow your search criteria to return less than 1,000 results" even when there are fewer than 1,000 results for the first surname on its own.

Just be grateful that, unlike the Northern Ireland web site, you are not restricted to searching only 5 years at a time, and that there is the option of wild cards or phonetic matching, which are not an option on the New Zealand and New South Wales ones, and, again unlike those last two, that you can search most of SP without a surname.

Has anyone been able to work out a solution to this one? I don't understand why it will allow a search that shows up more results than one that with the cross-referenced name.

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 19 October 22 09:10 BST (UK) »
Got a newsletter from SP this morning with three top tips from SP staff to help your research. Tip 2 highlighted surnames were often variable and recommended using the name variants option on the surname search. If only we could! :P

Does make you wonder how often SP staff use their own search engine. Certainly not any involved in writing the newsletter.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 19 October 22 09:44 BST (UK) »
I have e-mailed SP to express my delight that they are evidently about to reinstate the 'Name variants' search parameter. I await their response with great interest.

Perhaps they would appreciate a few more messages in similar terms? 
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 19 October 22 11:52 BST (UK) »
A great idea!

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 19 October 22 14:38 BST (UK) »
I have e-mailed SP to express my delight that they are evidently about to reinstate the 'Name variants' search parameter. I await their response with great interest.

Off to do so now   ;D .

Done ✓
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 20 October 22 02:26 BST (UK) »
Chris Paton has added a further update. Apparently fuzzy matching and name variants were removed due to incorrect matching.
I never had a problem in all the time I'd been using it since SP was introduced, why all of a sudden did it not do the job it was installed for after so many years, it's a complete mystery.
Maybe the surnames I was using in searches just happened to be ok  ???
It's just odd to me it took so many years to identify a problem.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 20 October 22 02:31 BST (UK) »
Got a newsletter from SP this morning with three top tips from SP staff to help your research. Tip 2 highlighted surnames were often variable and recommended using the name variants option on the surname search. If only we could! :P

Does make you wonder how often SP staff use their own search engine. Certainly not any involved in writing the newsletter.
Just!!!  ;D

A typical scenario where the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing  ::)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"