Author Topic: best site for actual records  (Read 645 times)

Offline jibhauler14

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
best site for actual records
« on: Wednesday 23 February 22 19:56 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if you could give me some advice as to which websites you consider are best at providing original records from which I can usually gleen more info, My Heritage seems to have plenty of transcripts but not many original records for instance looked at 3 people tonight on My Heritage where the 1939 census was there but not in its original form just a transcription, lots of Family search records also do not have the original records to back up the information ditto with Ancestry I like to see the full records to see if there is any further information and also to confirm that the facts stated are correct, any advice please..
Jib

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: best site for actual records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 February 22 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a County, or more in mind.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 February 22 20:34 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if you could give me some advice as to which websites you consider are best at providing original records from which I can usually gleen more info, My Heritage seems to have plenty of transcripts but not many original records for instance looked at 3 people tonight on My Heritage where the 1939 census was there but not in its original form just a transcription, lots of Family search records also do not have the original records to back up the information ditto with Ancestry I like to see the full records to see if there is any further information and also to confirm that the facts stated are correct, any advice please..
Jib

There wasn't a census in 1939.
Were you looking at the 1939 National Register, by any chance?

This was used to help with the issue of ID Cards and Ration Books.
It was then taken over by the NHS and updated by them until the 1990's.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 February 22 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Jib

If not available on the internet, perhaps you would like to visit (if possible) records offices to search microfilm / fiches?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 February 22 21:02 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if you could give me some advice as to which websites you consider are best at providing original records
My Heritage seems to have plenty of transcripts but not many original records for instance looked at 3 people tonight on My Heritage where the 1939 census was there but not in its original form just a transcription, lots of Family search records also do not have the original records to back up the information ditto with Ancestry I like to see the full records to see if there is any further information and also to confirm that the facts stated are correct, any advice please..
Jib

As each site has millions of records, some original records, some transcriptions it's impossible to tell what site would suit anyone else as we don't know what/where/when your research includes.

There are different types of subs which can include overseas i.e. we'd need a crystal ball  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 February 22 21:11 GMT (UK) »
I think that youngtug has asked the relevant question - where in the world are you looking for?  Every website has their "focus", but not one of them has the "total".  You have to make your particular choice.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline bluesofa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 February 22 01:15 GMT (UK) »
I find the FamilySearch Research Wiki useful for identifying which of the major family history websites have indexes and/or images for a particular region.

https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/Main_Page

With GenUKI useful for highlighting other sources, often online.

https://www.genuki.org.uk/

Offline jibhauler14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 February 22 13:54 GMT (UK) »
well silly me, thanks for the advice all taken

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 February 22 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Again, where in the country or world are you looking for?

Find My Past has some excellent original records for counties like Leicestershire, London and Norfolk, and Ancestry has great original records for many counties such as Wiltshire, Gloucestershire, Derbyshire, Norfolk, Devon, Somerset and Dorset.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain