Author Topic: Offer: Research details and photograph gravesites in Port Macquarie area  (Read 634 times)

Offline Terry_Chadban

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Offer: Research details and photograph gravesites in Port Macquarie area
« on: Thursday 24 February 22 05:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
Even most Australians don't know that Port Macquarie in the Mid North Coast of New South Wales, was originally set up as a penal colony in 1821, mainly for multiple offenders from the penal colony in Sydney. Male re-offenders were mostly sent south to Van Deimens Land (Tasmania now), and the female re-offenders were sent north to Port Macquarie.

If you are researching a female convict relative and you lose the trail, it is possible that she may have been sent here. If anyone needs photographs of gravesites up this way, or research done, I am more than happy to help out. I can cover the area from Kempsey down to Taree and inland to Wauchope. Let me know if I can help.

Cheers,
Terry Chadban

Offline phenolphthalein

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Offer: Research details and photograph gravesites in Port Macquarie area
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 February 22 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Terry
When Port macquarie was opened up to free settlers convicts were sent elsewhere and it ceased ro be a "punishment" settlement.  It retained some road gangs but by the mid to late 1830s most convicts sent there were "specials" ie those who were literate, invalided or had a trade or in the case of my ancestor all three.
After landing in Sydney he was sent on the Australian-built steamer William IV.  As he had spent no time in the colony before being sent to Port Macquarie, he had no time to have committed an offence to be "punished" for.
At that time Port Macquarie was considered to have the best weather in the colony.

Regards
pH

Offline Terry_Chadban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 February 22 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Terry
When Port macquarie was opened up to free settlers convicts were sent elsewhere and it ceased ro be a "punishment" settlement.  It retained some road gangs but by the mid to late 1830s most convicts sent there were "specials" ie those who were literate, invalided or had a trade or in the case of my ancestor all three.
After landing in Sydney he was sent on the Australian-built steamer William IV.  As he had spent no time in the colony before being sent to Port Macquarie, he had no time to have committed an offence to be "punished" for.
At that time Port Macquarie was considered to have the best weather in the colony.

Regards
pH

Port Macquarie still has "the best weather in the colony", even though climate change is slowly ruining it! That was why I moved up here when I 'retired'. I don't know whether or not you know this, but there is a replica of the original William The Fourth running around Newcastle Harbour, well worth a visit if anyone is in the Hunter region  of Australia.

Cheers,
Terry Chadban

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 February 22 23:28 GMT (UK) »
 :)  Before Covid,  my husband and I would take our visitors on trips on William IV.  We are at Nords Wharf (Lake Macquarie) . 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Terry_Chadban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 February 22 00:40 GMT (UK) »
:)  Before Covid,  my husband and I would take our visitors on trips on William IV.  We are at Nords Wharf (Lake Macquarie) . 

JM

I was born and raised in Islington, Newcastle. Been to Nords Wharf plenty of times for a day out. BTW, the William IV is still operating, but with reduced capacity at the moment, hopefully that will be lifted soon and we can all get back to what was normal.

Cheers,
Terry Chadban

Offline phenolphthalein

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 February 22 08:50 GMT (UK) »
I asked someone to photogtaph WilliamIV rgey said its no longer visible at Newcastle.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Terry_Chadban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 February 22 23:43 GMT (UK) »
I think someone has mis-informed you.

https://williamthefourth.org/ 

https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/story/5720293/restored-william-the-fourth-returns-to-newcastle-waters/

https://www.visitnewcastle.com.au/insider-guides/sailors-and-shipwrecks

JM

I can vouch for these links, and the fact that the replica William IV is still running around Newcastle Harbour, because I manage their website for them!   :-)

Cheers,
Terry