Author Topic: All legal Covid restrictions lifted in England today  (Read 3726 times)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: All legal Covid restrictions lifted in England today
« Reply #18 on: Friday 25 February 22 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Glad you were not fined, you would expect a little leeway given people have not been driving for a while .
Bury parking is often difficult because the pay stations are at the far end of the parking or out of order, but two different companies seem to,operate .
People pay but then find they are fined because they are not in the parking
for which they have paid !
Just behind Wilko’s is one such confusing set up.

Viktoria.

Sorry I disagree, if you are not capable of driving correctly after a break then you should either take a refresher course or avoid driving. A car is a dangerous weapon and should be treated as such, bus lanes are well marked, the solid white line should have been a clue.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 25 February 22 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Guy, your reply #18.
Viktoria's comment wasn't about driving. It was a criticism of a car park in the nearest big town to where she lives. It sounds like that car park is confusing for anyone not used to parking there, regardless of driving skills. Btw Viktoria doesn't drive there, she is chauffeured or goes by bus.
Your comment seems to have been intended as a reply to a post by someone else about a bus lane.
I agree with your general point about lack of driving practice.     
Cowban

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 25 February 22 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Yes MS,   it was  me they  were referring to me  not Viktoria,  I will say  though it  was strange  i got a warning , do they  usually do that, ?,   I  think  not, so  in  my opinion  they  know there is  a  huge problem and  it is  not  very  marked, the detour is quite a way round  and in these times of trying to conserve petrol it  us a daft situation, anyway  it was a warning
Guy, there was  no solid white lines

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 25 February 22 17:04 GMT (UK) »
One particular road into our next town has some  bus lanes that operate all the time and others which are just at peak times.  It can be confusing.

I did not go into a supermarket for a long time and got quite mixed up with the revamped layout (shortage of items) and at the self service checkout the first time I went back. It all seemed so strange.
Maybe I should have had a refresher course in how to shop. :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 25 February 22 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Me driving ;D ;D :o ;D ;D :o ;D :o
I used to go between schools in my lunch hour ,no direct bus service so I used a a Motobrcane Mobylette I used for shopping in the flat country in Belgium,however —- no cycle lanes here  :o- there was a relatively quiet route ,except huge lorries from Fletcher Bank quarry  full of stone used part of the route which accessed the motorway.The pavement was very high and the lorries would overtake me very closely .I could not have mounted the pavement to avoid being trapped so if I saw a lorry coming in my mirror I would dis -mount and stand on the pavement
The number of times I phoned up the quarry manager to complain ,the drivers did not seem to realise the pedals ( it could be pedal assisted ) stuck out quite a bit and if clipped  - well!
As the pavement was not really used at the part between the quarry exit road and over the motorway to the motorway access ,the the motorway exit on the return journey and the quarry access ,I rode on the pavement .
I logged all my complaint calls ,in case I should be arrested!
Then thank goodness a direct bus route that stopped just near school
was started .
It was lovely in Belgium though ,cycle lanes made you feel very safe and a tax on pedal cyclists and mobylette users gave you some clout!
Viktoria.

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 26 February 22 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Yes MS,   it was  me they  were referring to me  not Viktoria,  I will say  though it  was strange  i got a warning , do they  usually do that, ?,   I  think  not, so  in  my opinion  they  know there is  a  huge problem and  it is  not  very  marked, the detour is quite a way round  and in these times of trying to conserve petrol it  us a daft situation, anyway  it was a warning
Guy, there was  no solid white lines

LM

We got lost in a strange town & found ourselves in a bus lane as soon as we took a left turn, a few days later the fine with attached photo dropped through the letterbox. So maybe you're right & they know there's a bit of an issue with the one you drove in.

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 26 February 22 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Guy, your reply #18.
Viktoria's comment wasn't about driving. It was a criticism of a car park in the nearest big town to where she lives. It sounds like that car park is confusing for anyone not used to parking there, regardless of driving skills. Btw Viktoria doesn't drive there, she is chauffeured or goes by bus.
Your comment seems to have been intended as a reply to a post by someone else about a bus lane.
I agree with your general point about lack of driving practice.     
I was responding to Viktoria's first sentence "Glad you were not fined, you would expect a little leeway given people have not been driving for a while ."
People should be aware that if they have not been driving for a while they need to be extra careful when they take to the road again, they should also make sure they are abreast with any change in the traffic law since they were last driving. A good instance of this is the latest change in the legal right of way at road junctions and also zebra crossings. Not being aware of the changes could result in death or serious injury, not something anyone would want on their conscience.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 26 February 22 13:42 GMT (UK) »
I the biggest danger is having a conversation with someone who is unknowingly infected.

Just heard a few minutes ago that my next door neighbour has tested positive. She flew back from a foreign holiday yesterday. 

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott