Author Topic: ORR's Mullabrack/Armagh  (Read 1147 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ORR's Mullabrack/Armagh
« Reply #9 on: Friday 04 March 22 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Link to earlier thread looking for information on Mary Orr, a widow, who died in 1871-
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=798527.msg6557684#msg6557684

Here's that death certificate- she died at Rathdrumgran (Loughall civil parish) in Richhill district and the informant was a James Orr of same place.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1871/020759/7282705.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 04 March 22 11:42 GMT (UK) »
No proof that the death of Mary Orr in 1871 is the one shown in Griffiths around 1864, so I would put that one aside for now.  The marriage of William in 1853 gives his residence as Ballygoobany where we do find a Mary Orr in Griffiths.  If William went out to New Zealand first and his wife Mary followed, this may be her as the land is then marked vacant at the next revision of the books in 1869. The wedding took place in the Church of Ireland parish of Mullabrack, so you may find the baptisms for the children there along with a list of burials in the same church.  The baptisms and marriages are available for research at PRONI (not online) so you may have to hire a researcher to have a look at these for you:

https://www.johngrenham.com/records/church.php?civilparishid=396&civilparish=Mullaghbrack&search_type=full

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 March 22 11:54 GMT (UK) »
I would agree with what Eileen has just posted but would add that marriages usually take place in the bride's church which may or may not be the one the groom's family attended so a researcher checking the records in PRONI, of you do go down that route, may not find details of the Orr family.

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 March 22 12:05 GMT (UK) »
When I look at the map of the townlands, they do neighbour each other.  I'd start in Mullabrack first, and ask the researcher to look for both Orrs and Toals.

Offline popsit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 05 March 22 02:31 GMT (UK) »
Again, thank you all lots for the info given. Eileen your quite right in saying that Mary in the Griffiths valuation could be either the mother of william married in 1853 or nothing to do with me. I got an enhanced death view of Mary in the valuation the enhanced view I have states that the mary in the valuation was widowed, aged 82 and place of death Armagh. The registration details are as follows.....D/1871/14/1002/3/39.Richill. Her death is registered as being on the 14thNovember.Its so frustrating as I feel as if I am going in the right direction but dont know what or where to go to find out how to prove either way if she was Williams mother.At least I know it cant be williams wife. That brings up another question which I will have to look at at a later date. Where did she live between 1861 and 1864 when she left for New Zealand.Im picking she stayed on the Orr farm with her three children.
Message for Aghadowy: The death you found of Mary in Richill further down this page I take it it is the one in the valuation??. Again I am grasping at straws when I see that the informant is a James Orr so if she is mine this James maybe a sibling to my william marrying in 1853.
About going about things in the wrong way. I started here in NZ and worked backwards. William and Mary who married in 1853 and had three children are all buried in a family plot in New Plymouth here in NZ.There is very scant info. Believe me when I say I have worked backwards and have all info pertaining to when they lived in NZ
In the family plot it says that williams  mother was a Mary Quin/nn. Thats why when I found the marriage of a William Orr in 1810 to a Mary Quin/nn in the parish of Mullabrack I got a bit excited as I thought maybe they were williams (married in 1853) parents.I have got all information on william and mary (married 1853) and what happened to each of the children. Everything is correct from this end.William had to ask permission to have his wife join him here in NZ and I have a copy of when she arrived on the "blue Duck" in 1864. Its going backwards into Ireland that I am having trouble with. Nothing anywhere that we have speaks of his parents (william marrying in1853) except the bit on the family plot.By the by william and mary had another child here, a girl who contracted TB through her mothers milk as mary her mother had TB.She lived only a year. Hope this helps a bit further.
Be good to your Mum

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 05 March 22 10:34 GMT (UK) »
There is no way to tell if the Mary Orr in the Valuation Revision Books is the same Mary Orr who died in 1871 or even if it is the same Mary Orr lists all through the Valuation Book. If there is a change in the valuation book but the person has the same first & last name then no change shows in the book.

You mentioned that William's parents are listed in cemetery records for that plot as William Orr & Mary Quinn but not what details, if any, are on his death certificate.

I found newspaper mentions of William Orr's death in 1900 with very little detail but gave age as 92 which may or may not be accurate.

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 05 March 22 11:36 GMT (UK) »
I would be interested in knowing about that enhanced view of Griffiths that you mention.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 05 March 22 12:08 GMT (UK) »
I would be interested in knowing about that enhanced view of Griffiths that you mention.
I think OP is confusing Griffith's Valuation/Valuation Revision Books with 'enhanced view' of death certificate on GRONI.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 07 March 22 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Just to clarify locations you mentioned in Personal Message- here's Mullaghbrack just outside Markethill, Co. Armagh-
https://www.townlands.ie/armagh/fews-lower/mullaghbrack-lower-fews-portion/hamiltons-bawn/mullaghbrack/
Mullaghbrack to Strabane, Co, Tyrone is over 60 miles quite a distance in Irish terms. To put it in perspective, my grandfather's uncle (born 1850) wrote that his mother's parents lived a 'considerable' distance from his childhood home and it was less than 10 miles.

Who is the Mary Or you think died in Strabane?
One died in Workhouse in 1892 aged 92 but she was a spinster from Raphoe, Co. Donegal
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1892/06027/4716297.pdf