Author Topic: How can future generations access your family history research?  (Read 1154 times)

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
How can future generations access your family history research?
« on: Friday 25 February 22 19:14 GMT (UK) »
A discussion on another thread about dodgy family trees on a certain commercial digital genealogy platform has reminded me that I'm interested in finding out how  much thought others have given to making sure future generations can access your family history research.

If like me you've slaved over a hot mouse and keyboard for years to determine which "Chipping" each of your "Smiths" were born in, I for one don't want all that work to be in vain. 

But these hastily accumulated trees on the likes of ance$try, which hoover up dodgy information and breed it like rabbits, does spell confusion for those that follow us.  So how do we avoid that trap?

Our trees will have information about living people.  How do we balance information like that and its value in the future, against current confidentiality? Can we future proof access to trees to those with a legitimate interest?

And what sort of format would information be best saved in?  We've exploited new technology wonderfully in recording our family history eg the hyperlink to family members, or to sources, but again can we future proof this or might we need to fall back on ink and paper?

Can we do this without surrendering information to a commercial organisation?

I'm sure others have thought about this already.

What are your plans?

What have you done already?

What are your obstacles to doing this?

Leave your thoughts here so we can have a good old chat and problem solve on this very important topic

[Apologies if this has been discussed alsewhere already - I couldn't find an earlier thread directly on this]

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How can future generations access your family history research?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 February 22 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Great question.

Perhaps put one’s faith in Rootschat and publish one’s findings under
alphabetically cataloged surname interests?
Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline steadyrollingman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 February 22 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Not quite ink and paper but, as someone with access to desktop publishing software, my master tree is stylishly ( :P) created in InDesign, from which I produce PDFs to store on my iPad/Phone for reference when I'm visiting the Archives, walking round graveyards with no internet connection etc. Has also proved very handy to send to interested family members, who don't have access to the main FH sites or this GEDCOM stuff I keep hearing about but have absolutely no interest in :)

Although it's not a historical document per se, I'm considering asking the local Archives if they would like a USB (or whatever format is being used when I snuff it in decades to come) containing the tree plus all the supporting evidence and materials I've gathered. As 90% of my ancestors are from Durham, Northumberland & N Yorks, there's probably a fair case to be made for it being of some use.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 February 22 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Just commenting to say I'm following this thread with great interest!
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 February 22 20:58 GMT (UK) »
I'm doing my research and organizing it with the goal of eventually putting it all into book format. If I think the copy/paste brigade + potential plagiarists (these are two separate categories) will bother me too much, I'll get it all ready, then tell my husband or child to hit "publish" after my death.

That's my current thinking about the issue; I don't know if I'll change my mind in future. I don't want all of my hard work to be lost, and I'd like to share what I've learned with others, but I know how I've felt in the past when my work was put online without my permission and without giving me any credit and I can't change the way I feel about it (believe me, I've tried).

At the very least, I want to have something in a readable format to leave behind for my child and my sibling's children, because I know they won't be interested in flipping through my binders of "family reports" and print-outs. I'd also like specific family or local history societies to have a copy.

For background, here's a link to my thoughts on the other thread mentioned above:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=859234.msg7282870#msg7282870
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 February 22 22:35 GMT (UK) »
A good bit of my research is now in book form - 600 pages or so. The latest version is in electronic form, but I have donated print versions to the Society of Genealogists' library, which is probably the most significant genealogical depository in the UK. If I were an American, I'd be sending it to Salt Lake City for the same reasons.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 February 22 22:56 GMT (UK) »
A good bit of my research is now in book form - 600 pages or so. The latest version is in electronic form, but I have donated print versions to the Society of Genealogists' library, which is probably the most significant genealogical depository in the UK. If I were an American, I'd be sending it to Salt Lake City for the same reasons.

Coincidentally, I was just looking at the Society Of Genealogists website!  How do you handle information about living people in these books, and do you have to provide a processing payment to SOG for this?

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 February 22 23:17 GMT (UK) »
As for living people - I left them out (apart from an enormous list of names of people who have helped me along the way).

This page answers most questions. I think the fact that there needs to be a financial contribution might be offputting, but it's realistic - someone has to pay to store, protect, catalogue and provide access. https://www.sog.org.uk/depositing-materials-with-us

For other items of interest beyond the genealogical community, there are many archives that welcome relevant material. I have deposited things with Edinburgh University, the National Library of Wales, the Imperial War Museum, Berkshire archives, Wiltshire archives, Museum of English Rural Life, among others. Choose the right archive and they'll bite your hand off to get the material!
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline phenolphthalein

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 February 22 23:34 GMT (UK) »
I have not read all the comments here but I have a few of my own thoughts about technology -- maybe I'm a Luddite.

I have family photos from the 1860s but none of my son for the last few years -- hubby does not print digital photos.

I have my handwritten genealogical notes and what I have in word at the moment.  Everything i put on computer years ago has gone. Computer died -- hubby had backed up backuos not put on computer -- technology has changed now -- who uses floppy discs.

Whatever you do multiple copies -- but what will replace usbs and hard discs and will that equipment exist in your grandchildren's time.

I think we should keep at least one copy of everything in print form.  What we are searching the past on is in that form or copied from that form.

regards
pH