Author Topic: How can future generations access your family history research?  (Read 1152 times)

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How can future generations access your family history research?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 25 February 22 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 February 22 09:26 GMT (UK) »
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline Mike Griffiths

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 April 22 04:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this interesting question.  I'm on the side of those who believe that hard copy books are the best way of preserving family histories.

I wrote a book on my mother's family history and privately published 50 copies.  I sent these to every relative I could think of who might be interested, so copies are scattered throughout members of the family tree.  I would like to think that these will be passed down to future generations.

One other option to consider is that for a few hundred dollars extra I could have had the book included in the Amazon catalogue where it would in theory remain available for purchase indefinitely.
Ryan

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 April 22 08:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this interesting question.  I'm on the side of those who believe that hard copy books are the best way of preserving family histories.

I wrote a book on my mother's family history and privately published 50 copies.  I sent these to every relative I could think of who might be interested, so copies are scattered throughout members of the family tree.  I would like to think that these will be passed down to future generations.

One other option to consider is that for a few hundred dollars extra I could have had the book included in the Amazon catalogue where it would in theory remain available for purchase indefinitely.

As somone who has spent the last 15 years producing digital copies of out of print books and records for the family history market and archives I would say the best way, without doubt, of preserving family histories is in book form.
Books can withstand a tremendous amount of abuse and still be readable unlike digital records which may fail at the slightest thing.
The major downside of printed books is cost, the cost of printing, binding, etc. and subsequently, for readers the costs of purchasing a copy, including postage.
Having said that those costs should be weighed against the equipment required to access a digital copy and perhaps justified that way.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Mike Griffiths

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 28 April 22 08:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Guy.  I actually write family histories, and have been pleasantly surprised with how costs of self-publishing have fallen in recent years.  I can now print 50 paperback copies of a 180-page self-published book for under AUD500.  Of course, your point about postage costs is relevant for those with relatives spread all over the world.
Ryan