Author Topic: Bio Grandfather  (Read 504 times)

Offline Nanato3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bio Grandfather
« on: Sunday 27 February 22 22:33 GMT (UK) »
I'm a newbie at DNA and after receiving helpful responses to an earlier topic I posted, I uploaded DNA results to Gedmatch.  These results combined with additional research has helped me narrow down the biological grandfather of a friend I have been searching for.  I will label this suspected grandfather RW.

I have found that many of my friend's matches are related to both RW's parent's (PW & FD), with the majority of them being related to his mother (FD). 

I have ruled out RW's sons as being the bio grandfather because of age.  I have also found that none of FD's siblings were married to any of her husband's (PW) siblings.

I have received information about RW, FD, and PW from a DNA match that I believe is a 1st cousin 1x removed and DNA suggests this as the strongest possibility.  If this is the case, my friend's strongest match would be her half 1st cousin, also the strongest possibility according to the DNA results.  I will refer to this person as AW

The 1st cousin 1x removed confirmed that AW is also her cousin 1x removed and gave me his information.  His grandfather is RW

Am I corrected in thinking that my friend's bio grandfather has to be RW or one of his brothers?  If not, what other possibilities might there be?

Offline Carmella

• RootsChat Member
  • nsus information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bio Grandfather
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 March 22 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

You could try the DNA painter tool "What are the Odds" (WATO) as it would enable you to place your friend at various positions in the family tree and see what the probabilities suggest based on the DNA cM values.

See this thread:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=858148.0

Offline Nanato3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bio Grandfather
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 March 22 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the suggestion.  I'll try that.