Author Topic: 2022 Census  (Read 1845 times)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
2022 Census
« on: Monday 28 February 22 11:51 GMT (UK) »
I received the belated 2021 census in the post this morning.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 Census
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 February 22 12:42 GMT (UK) »
I received the belated 2021 census in the post this morning.

Colin

Not had ours yet  ???

Rosie

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 February 22 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Did you request a paper copy Colin ?

I understood it was all going to be digital unless a paper copy was requested.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 February 22 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Census day is Sunday 20 March but you can complete, on line, as soon as it is received.
You can request a paper copy but I did not.

Receiving mine today may be down to my surname initial C?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 February 22 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Don't forget our Scottish friends, the experiences of us Sassenach's when we chose to apply for paper copies last year.

Duly requesting online a paper copy, it took ages to arrive and the deadline line was fast approaching, or past, before they dropped through the letterbox: HQ inundated with requests?  ;D

Forms were filled in - an occasional compiler I believe added their cat as a 'visitor' that night ::), then low and behold a week after the deadline date some people reported having census stasi turning up at their doorstep telling them they were in default [£1000 fine] for not returning their forms. Nobody at census HQ had bothered to record those people who had been sent a paper copy - late mind you and would therefore not have had time to fill them in and post back. Chaos, but typically British.

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 February 22 17:33 GMT (UK) »

We received ours this morning  surname  starts with V  all filled in on line and away .

Took me about twenty minutes to fill it in

suzilad

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 February 22 18:03 GMT (UK) »
I've just had an interesting conversation with a lady in their call centre.

We have an old family cottage, pretty much uninhabitable in winter but used by all of my immediate family at different times during the summer. It will be unoccupied on 20 March 2022, but I will still have to fill in the household part of the questionnaire.

Question H14 asks how many vehicles the household has access to.

In the case of my own permanent home, that's easy. I have one car.

But in the case of a holiday cottage that is never rented out commercially, how many cars does the household have access to? I reckon that if I add up all the cars belonging to my family, there must be six or seven. I can't just put none, because while that is true on 20 March, the question is intended to help with road planning etc, so answering none is not going to provide the information the local authority needs - there are 15 holiday cottages in the village which obviously generate traffic and therefore wear and tear on the roads, even though none of the 15 cottages is occupied on 20 March.

So I rang up to find out, and at first the lady (whose first language is not English) completely failed to understand the question. She told me I must tell the truth! But I asked her which version was 'the truth', and eventually she grasped the point of my question, admitted she didn't know, and asked me to hang on while she consulted a higher authority. Finally she came back and said I must enter the total number of cars.

So: census return, one household, no occupants, 7 cars!

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 February 22 19:15 GMT (UK) »
 ;D That is truly daft!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 February 22 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Indeed. So daft I just had to share it :)

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.