Author Topic: 2022 Census  (Read 1847 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 Census
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Is a sample return viewable online? I need to see all questions before I answer.
https://www.census.gov.scot/help/question-help

Thanks. I'll peruse it.

I do think it is a pity that it no longer asks for a more detailed answer to where individual people were born, which is probably the most useful piece of information in the context of family history. But I seem to remember that a few censuses ago it was proposed to drop that question entirely because it was thought to be offensive to people not born here  ::)

That section also once asked for information about nationality or place of birth of parent. It was when I was young. My mother, who was form-filler in our house, remarked, on completing that section, that if ever the _____*  Party got into government and decided, after "repatriating" other ethnic groups, to turn  attention to the Irish, the rest of us would have to go and live in Ireland while she remained in England. She didn't really believe that, I suppose her comment may have been ironic. My Irish grandparents were born UK citizens.
* Insert name of whichever xenophobic party was active at the time.   
Cowban

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Question H14 asks how many vehicles the household has access to.

So: census return, one household, no occupants, 7 cars!

Just as daft - if any of the vehicles are classed as work vehicles they are not to be included - Do work vehicles magically hover over the roads ?

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 03 March 22 05:44 GMT (UK) »
I haven't seen any example for England or Scotland online M-S but I just happen to have a 'spare' (blank) English census document I am retaining in my archive. When I applied for a paper copy - I sent a reminder after a 3 week delay produced nothing, and then promptly received two in separate deliveries. Depending on personal circumstances the majority of it is wasted space: there are 32 pages in the English version.

I filled out a paper version of the Australian Census 2021. After completing the part about the number of people in the house at the time, the pages about each person had a total of six people to be enumerated. as there was only the two of us, every second page, for the other four, was totally redundant, a total of "only" ten pages ::)

One of the questions was about where did the person live five years ago. I wonder what they would have said if I had amended that one to fifty years ago. Same address ;D

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 03 March 22 09:18 GMT (UK) »
I wish they would ask how far it is to the nearest bus stop and (more important) are you comfortably able to walk that far. If they want people to use public transport they really should know about that.

They ask about how people commute to work/study. They should also be asking how people get their shopping home, because that must generate a lot of traffic.

I know I could get my groceries delivered but the supermarkets have a tendency to substitute unwanted things for what I actually order - e.g. strawberry yoghurt when I want rhubarb yoghurt, or Delicious apples when I want Cox's. (Quite apart from the more bizarre substitutions you sometimes read about! Google 'supermarket substitutions' if you want a laugh.) And if I pick my own perishables they last longer, which is important when they come in such large packs that I can't eat a whole pack at one meal. So I do my own, by car because a bag of shopping is heavy, even though I can walk to the village shops in 10 minutes.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 03 March 22 11:12 GMT (UK) »
We were surprised just how SHORT the England & Wales 2021 online census process was.  You are only asked simple questions relevant to the individuals that you enter at the start.  It seems clear to me that a paper census document has to be much larger, to cater for large families and other circumstances. It's also much more error prone (because there is no checking between questions) and much more intrusive, as you have an enumerator calling at your house, and peering at your answers.

If you can enter a post on Rootschat, then entering the Census online is no harder, and takes hardly more time.
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 04 March 22 14:43 GMT (UK) »
I  have just tried to do mine online and wasted so much time have gave up it keeps saying there is a problem contact us ..So had enough have requested a paper one  ::)

Rosie