Author Topic: 2022 Census  (Read 1844 times)

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 Census
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 February 22 20:25 GMT (UK) »
That really made me laugh Forfarian  ;D ;D

We have not had our forn yet. 10 years ago we had the paper version to fill in as my husband considers it dangerous to fill out forms online..... really!!!

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 February 22 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Just what was we need occasionally Forfarian, great, innocently spoken humour ;D

By the way, if anyone was a tad curious where the census customer services were based  ??? - look no further. I've just found this job agency ad. I think that there's potential for some more intelligent job-seekers to put in their application. I wouldn't mind that sort of cash for just a few weeks work....and WFH, wow bonus there!

https://www.arvato.co.uk/job/customer-service-advisor-scotland-census-2022/

Don't delay, I've already sent it on to some 'rellies' who live in Dumbarton.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 March 22 21:04 GMT (UK) »

By the way, if anyone was a tad curious where the census customer services were based  ??? - look no further. I've just found this job agency ad. I think that there's potential for some more intelligent job-seekers to put in their application. I wouldn't mind that sort of cash for just a few weeks work....and WFH, wow bonus there!

https://www.arvato.co.uk/job/customer-service-advisor-scotland-census-2022/

Don't delay, I've already sent it on to some 'rellies' who live in Dumbarton.

It begins "Please contact the talent team ..." . Further on the agency is looking for people who are "passionate". That's asking a bit much - talented and passionate. A census enumerator 150 years ago only needed to be able to read, write, add up, hear and walk. As some early census collectors were clergymen or schoolmasters, I think passion would have been discouraged.

My letter about the census arrived today.
Is a sample return viewable online? I need to see all questions before I answer.
I got into a mess with a local online consultation last month then got timed out. Also took part in a ONS survey, mainly about health and wellbeing. The letter saying my household had been selected was delayed in the post. I was suspicious because the address on the first letter I received, (which should have been the 2nd letter) was different from address on ONS official website.   
Cowban

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 10:36 GMT (UK) »
I haven't seen any example for England or Scotland online M-S but I just happen to have a 'spare' (blank) English census document I am retaining in my archive. When I applied for a paper copy - I sent a reminder after a 3 week delay produced nothing, and then promptly received two in separate deliveries. Depending on personal circumstances the majority of it is wasted space: there are 32 pages in the English version.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Is a sample return viewable online? I need to see all questions before I answer.
https://www.census.gov.scot/help/question-help
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Can't for the life of me figure out why they need to know not only my sex but also my sexual orientation! It's taking "provision" a little far when they ask that of a 75 year old woman unless they're going to provide us all with Toy Boys or Girls to keep us active a bit longer.  ;D :P
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Can't for the life of me figure out why they need to know not only my sex but also my sexual orientation! It's taking "provision" a little far when they ask that of a 75 year old woman unless they're going to provide us all with Toy Boys or Girls to keep us active a bit longer.  ;D :P
Yes, I wondered that too!

I had some difficulty with the question about how I commute to my place of study. On foot - from the bedroom/kitchen/living room to the computer - but there's no option to say that.  :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Couldn't agree more with the last two posts and reference to the individual questions - but let's not get to irritable about the direction census' appear to be heading. At this point the aspect of gender is a voluntary answer and can be left blank. No doubt in the future it may well be raised-up-a-gear to include transgender and/or transitioning*. Some basic data has usually been collected for the NHS to judge possible calls upon their services: the latter two being of increased time/funding etc in the most recent times.
* Please don't ask for clarification via this forum 8)

Obviously in 2011 nobody foresaw the worldwide virus c.2019 and there was no possibility of laying in adequate resources for it. Perhaps the 2031 format could include specific questions related to Covid-19 ???

"Distance travelling to work", surely the truthful, as requested answer would be work from home. Whizz to the end - "there are no more questions for Person 1. Sign Declaration, job done.

PS. If anyone requires some guidance on how to fill in your form for Person 2 (the House Cat) send me a PM.  ;D

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Oh, I promise to be good when I revise my answers before submitting, even though I may mock some of the questions a bit at this stage.

I do think it is a pity that it no longer asks for a more detailed answer to where individual people were born, which is probably the most useful piece of information in the context of family history. But I seem to remember that a few censuses ago it was proposed to drop that question entirely because it was thought to be offensive to people not born here  ::)

On the other hand, anyone able to fill in this census must have been born well after the introduction of statutory registration, and by the time it's available for research they'll probably have added mother's maiden surname to the birth indexes.