Author Topic: Peleg Carr, Rhode Island  (Read 346 times)

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Peleg Carr, Rhode Island
« on: Monday 28 February 22 15:07 GMT (UK) »
There appears to be some discrepancies about the marriages and family of Peleg Carr, born 1689, or 1690, and died 1736 in Newport, Rhode Island.   As far as I can make out he married Anne Crawford in 1711 and they had at least 8 children.   Anne died in 1729 and Peleg then married Elizabeth Aylesworth, their first child, Robert, was born in 1731.   There appear to be no records of either Elizabeth's birth, death or marriage.
I am currently trying to trace the descendants of Deborah Carr (1737 to 1819) the daughter of Peleg and Elizabeth.   Any help confirming dates etc greatly appreciated.
Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Peleg Carr, Rhode Island
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 March 22 22:20 GMT (UK) »
I am currently trying to trace the descendants of Deborah Carr (1737 to 1819) the daughter of Peleg and Elizabeth.   
Dave

There is a tree for her on familysearch which could give you a starting point for her children. You'd need to verify everything, I didn't see any sources.
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/LCC4-SRF

and her findagrave page names 2 of the daughters:
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/121239120/deborah-potter

The findagrave page has a picture of only page 131 of some book with some information on Cornelius Potter and Deborah Carr. If you can find the book, you can find the footnotes. I couldn't. It looks like a Potter family history, but it could be a local history from Nova Scotia. It said, in part:

Cornelius Potter m Tiverton RI (Dartmouth int. 14 May 1757 and m 3 July 1757) 23 April 1757 Deborah Carr[3], daughter of Peleg and Elizabeth __ Carr[4], and a descendant of Roger Williams[5]. Deborah was b Newport RI? ca 1737 [6] and d before 25 April 1819 burieal ae 75 yr [sic][7]. She is buried in St Pauls, Rawdon, NS. [8]
Peleg Carr of Newport RI, shopkeeper, made his will 28 Dec 1736, proved 10 Jan 1736/7 and named Elizabeth, "who is now with child"[9]

followed by more on Cornelius, including:
he married out of order before 20th day of 3rd month 1758 and was disowned by Dartmouth Monthly Meeting 19 May 1758
was in Newport NS about 1758, definitely by 21 July 1761

----------
I found some confusing information about their marriage and intention to do so from various sources:
married in Tiverton 3 July 1757
intentions in Dartmouth 14 May 1757
Registered in Tiverton and Dartmouth MA 14 May 1757
  Dartmouth says both of Dartmouth
  Tiverton says he of Dartmouth, she of Portsmouth

There was evidently some problem with their marriage which led to him being read out of the Monthly Meeting at Dartmouth - by which time he might have already been in NS :)

-----------
I looked and didn't find anything for Elizabeth Aylsworth. There was an Aylesworth family in North Kingstown about that time and an Elizabeth in it, but a generation earlier. The fact that Deborah is connected with Tiverton and with Dartmouth, MA, might tell you something - did Elizabeth Aylsworth Carr have family there to go back to when Peleg died?

Also she could have been married before and the marriage record is not indexed as Aylsworth. Peleg married (1) Ann Crawford in Providence, so you could expect him to marry Elizabeth whereever she was living, not where he was. You might have to find Arnold's Vital Records themselves and look in the most likely towns.  Google it or look here
https://onerhodeislandfamily.com/2018/11/12/arnolds-rhode-island-vital-record-of-rhode-island-post/

---------------
And the area near Tiverton was part of Massachusetts at first, which might be making the search more difficult. There are better sources, I'm too lazy to find them right now, but if you can't believe what you read on wikipedia, what can you believe :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiverton,_Rhode_Island

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 March 22 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Cornelius might have been 18 when he married and Deborah 20. That might not have gone over very well either.

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 March 22 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for taking the time to post such a comprehensive reply.   As you suggest, I'll look in Arnold's in the hope of finding some positive evidence.   It seems that there was some confusion over this family's records in mid 18th century Rhode Island, not helped by the possibility that parts of Tiverton were in Massachusetts.
The name Elizabeth Aylesworth appears in some records that I have seen, but nothing conclusive.  However, I am confident that Peleg Carr was a direct descendant of Caleb Carr, born 1616 London, and his son Governor Caleb Carr.   Prior to 1616 the timeline becomes fanciful, directly linking the family to among others, King Edward I, King Alfred and even back to pre-Roman times in Britain.
Regards, Dave

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 March 22 01:23 GMT (UK) »
I think the problem is that ancestry's hints confuse Peleg Carr with Peleg Card. There was a Card family in the area also.

These two are not primary sources, but they should get you started in the right direction.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/204387585/peleg-card

------------
Elizabeth is mentioned in a codicil to her father Arthur's will. See Arthur Aylsworth and his Descendants in America at
https://sites.rootsweb.com/~onbayqnt/AylesworthFamilyHistory.htm and elsewhere. It is in the public domain.
search for Card or Peleg to find the couple
Arthur is the immigrant ancestor.
Note this book was written in 1887. There is probably more recent research on the family, so some of this might be inaccurate. You will need to look.

-------------------
How did I find this? - A tip I learned at the N.E. Historic and Genealogical Society some time ago. Instead of looking for Carrs, I looked for Aylsworth family histories, then for an Elizabeth who married a Peleg Carr. I didn't find Carr but found Card.

It doesn't work all the time, but most of the early N.E. families have a book like this. If you know the wife's maiden name, it is always worth a try.

--------
Peleg Card is 2 generations removed from the immigrant, his grandfather Richard Card, according to:
https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/346392:2204
the U.S., Sons of the American Revolution Membership Applications, 1889-1970

I included the ancestry.com link in case you have a subscription. If not, the Sons of the AR probably have a website with the basics. Or try the DAR (Daughters of the AR) site, I know they have a database.

If both fail, you should be able to find enough on the web to figure things out. He might not go back to Edward III on paper, but, after a point working backward, every English family does somehow anyway - you just can't prove it.

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 March 22 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again for the illuminating information.   It seems pretty certain that Elizabeth Aylesworth was unlikely to have married Peleg Carr but rather Peleg Card.   Unfortunately I no longer have an Ancestry subscription but will follow your suggestions regarding US Sons of the American Revolution and DAR sites.   Back to the drawing board.
Regards Dave