Author Topic: My favourite occupation (1861 Census)  (Read 2092 times)

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My favourite occupation (1861 Census)
« on: Tuesday 01 March 22 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Quite by accident I found this scintillating occupation for a 30-something married woman in London:

"Female Searcher at Police Station"  :o  :o

Just the job title alone conjures up so many images. Most of them not pleasant. Did Lysol spray exist back in the day? I dare say rubber gloves didn't exist at the time either.

All I can say is: Cagney & Lacey and Scott & Bailey have nothing on this brave woman.

Given that London Metropolitan Police didn't recruit women until 1883, I wonder how this lady got her gig circa 1861? Was she initially employed as the Police Station cleaner, then got a promotion...of sorts?  ;D

I can hear it now...

Police Desk Serjeant: "You're doing a grand job mopping the floors, luv, but "Peckham Patsy the Pickpocket" is back again, and is waiting in the holding tank. Would you mind?"  ;D

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: My favourite occupation (1861 Census)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 March 22 19:43 GMT (UK) »
What was her occ. on 1851 & 1871?

Possibly a 'plain clothes' occ. in 1861?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 March 22 19:54 GMT (UK) »
What was her occ. on 1851 & 1871?

I don't really know. She's not a relative of mine. I just thought it was an "interesting" occupation title.  ;D

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 March 22 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Lock-ups and bridewells had several female occupants on census nights. Some may have made a court appearances the following day, Monday. 
There would have been no need of a female searcher in a theft case I read about. 2 young women in a pub got friendly with a soldier who was a regimental bandsman. They stole his trombone. 
Cowban

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 March 22 20:31 GMT (UK) »
The lady in question ("Female Searcher at Police Station") was a Policeman's wife. Maybe he wanted her to earn some pin money, so he got her the gig.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 March 22 20:38 GMT (UK) »
The lady in question ("Female Searcher at Police Station") was a Policeman's wife. Maybe he wanted her to earn some pin money, so he got her the gig.

Was the lock-up attached to their house? Some were. A household I saw on a census consisted of a police sergeant, wife & family + female prisoners.   
Cowban

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 00:50 GMT (UK) »
I found the policeman's wife in later census reports. She's a dressmaker and laundress by then. Quite a come down from "Female Searcher at Police Station". I probably read too much into job titles, but I do get the impression this lady was probably the Police Station "frisker" circa 1861.

Can you imagine the bragging rights her children had in school? "My mum's better than your mum! Mine frisks women down the nick!"  :P

In all seriousness, the enumerator for this particular 1861 census deserves gold stars. So many of his occupation descriptions read like a veritable penny dreadful.

For one elderly pauper, he describes how much her pension is - to the exact shilling!
There's a middle-age clerk. Not just a "clerk" mind you  -  but a "Clerk in a Bazaar".
One chap is recorded as "Lieutenant Army - Half Pay". (I detect an obsession with pension amounts)
Another fellow is "Clerk in General Post Office".
Then we have the "Private in Royal Berks Yeomanry Cavalry" (Nice one! Thanks for the heads-up)
One woman is "Laundress - husband in the Union"  (I take that to be "in the Workhouse"?)

Hey, why notate just "Brush maker" when you can record "Copper Brush maker".
So you can imagine how let down I was to see one fellow described simply as "Musician". No mention of an instrument, or even where he played. Can you imagine if the enumerator had added his special extra detail? "Musician - piano player down the corner boozer".  ;D

Honestly, it's like the enumerator was having a cheeky cup of tea and gossip when he enumerated each property. "And her next door, Madam.....what do you reckon her pension is?"

Can you imagine his delight at enumerating the 1921 Census! He would've been in his element with recording everyone's current and former Employer details.  ;D  He was clearly ahead of his time.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 20:48 GMT (UK) »
I think you're giving the enumerator too much credit.  He only copied what was written on the individual household forms.  Sadly before 1911 those weren't kept, so all we have are the transcriptions in the enumerators' books.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 22:13 GMT (UK) »
I think you're giving the enumerator too much credit.  He only copied what was written on the individual household forms. 

I was just having a bit of fun. It's obvious that enumerator had a more occupationally descriptive patch, compared to others. It's so dreary to see census reports filled with basic occupation titles.

What a pity that enumerator didn't do my relatives' nearby patch in 1851. Strong evidence points to one of them involved in a famous project at the time. If only that enumerator could've recorded my relative's 1851 work location.  ::)  Oh well.