Author Topic: My favourite occupation (1861 Census)  (Read 2093 times)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: My favourite occupation (1861 Census)
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 March 22 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Clearly they didn't write it on their form.  But that sort of detail wasn't required in 1851.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 March 22 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Not an occupation -- but 'maybe' it was!!

On the 1861 census there is a Mary A Stanley - aged 30 - living in Chidham, Surrey - born Weston, Hampshire -- who's relationship to the Head of the House was recorded as Concubine.

(Out of interest I searched the 1861 census just using the Keyword of Concubine - I think there were 8 in the England Census.)
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Online Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 March 22 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Clearly they didn't write it on their form.  But that sort of detail wasn't required in 1851.

I know. It's a shame because I could've really used that "extra" detail regarding my relative's work situation.
I don't think employee records exist for the project either. However, my relative's address from 1845-1856 puts him a stone's throw from the work in question. My family are adamant he worked on the project, so I will continue to keep an eye out for any newly released records. Hopefully employee-related.  ;D

Online Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 March 22 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Not an occupation -- but 'maybe' it was!!

On the 1861 census there is a Mary A Stanley - aged 30 - who's relationship to the Head of the House was recorded as Concubine.

Ooh 'eck!  A kept woman!!  Love it! So was Mary A Stanley the man's unmarried partner? Or was she the 'chippy on the side' (living under the same roof)?  ;D 
I can hear the conversation as we speak: "Get yer scarf on tonight, luv. We're off down pub".

Online Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 March 22 17:49 GMT (UK) »
On a side note: I glimpsed this Victorian newspaper byline "Another Man Dressed As a Woman".
Blimey, just how many (frequent) instances of drag did this town have?  ;)   Pity there wasn't a photo.
Were these blokes throwing on frocks in order to get into the weekly bingo? Or was it for "hen night" at the local village hall?

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 March 22 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Hillhurst -- re the 'concubine' -- both the Head of the House AND the concubine were shown as married on the case I mentioned.

(I wonder if it was a joke by the Head of House and the Enumerator had to just copy it!)
Places of interest;

Online Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 03 March 22 19:40 GMT (UK) »
(I wonder if it was a joke by the Head of House and the Enumerator had to just copy it!)

Oh well, at least the Head of Household had a sense of humour. I wonder how well-known the term "concubine" was at the time? To me, it's always conjured up relationships of an exotic nature. Like Valentino in "The Sheik".

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 03 March 22 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Not often I can say this, Hillhurst - but Valentino in the Sheikh was actually before my time. AND because I can only rarely say it, I'm making the most of it!
Places of interest;

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 04 March 22 03:34 GMT (UK) »
On the 1861 census there is a Mary A Stanley - aged 30 - living in Chidham, Surrey - born Weston, Hampshire -- who's relationship to the Head of the House was recorded as Concubine.

(Out of interest I searched the 1861 census just using the Keyword of Concubine - I think there were 8 in the England Census.)

"Concubine" seems to have been an ancient term which has almost disappeared.

An example from 1830 describing Alice Perrers, lover/mistress of Edward 111...

"Alice Perrers , concubine to Edwarde the Third"

I'd never heard of the word prior to reading it on another thread here on RC a few yrs ago!

Edit...I found the thread...

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=796227.msg6530369#msg6530369

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"