Author Topic: DNA Painter Tool  (Read 801 times)

Offline Gordon163

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA Painter Tool
« on: Wednesday 02 March 22 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have a DNA match of 47cM with a lady in Canada. We have a number of shared matches, which all point to the common ancestor being in the family of one of my 3rd gt-grandmothers.

The grandfather of my DNA match has the same surname as this 3rd gt-grandmother of mine.

So, working with this common surname, for 5 generations back from my 3rd gt-grandmother, the male always has the forename Humphrey, so it is not until my 9th gt-grandfather that John appears.

I have been looking at the DNA Painter Tool 4.0, which seems to suggest that I should have  found a common ancestor by 8th gt-grandparents, for our 47cM match. However, there is not a Humphrey in sight in the line of my DNA match.

When we get to our 8th gt-grandparents, we are both in the area of Barnstaple, North Devon. So, it seems that we would need to go at least one generation more.

The DNA Painter Tool 4.0 is obviously calculating probabilities. So, I think there is no fixed upper limit as to how far back we need to go.

What do others think, please?

Thanks,

Gordon 

Offline rsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Painter Tool
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 March 22 06:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graham,
    I assume when you are saying the DNA painter tool, you are talking about the Shared CM tool ?  If you can work with your matches, to get a confirmed tree togther for a couple of you, and then find out how many cM you each share with this lady in Canada, the WATO tool that is on the same site is very useful as it can start trying to predicate more closely the combinations of relationships. The more people you can confirm relationships with, the better the predication's get.
    The other thing to consider is that you may have multiple relationships with the lady concerned, which can make the predicted relationships look closer than they actually are.  You don't mention which site you and your matches are on, but if you have access to a chromosone browser you can see if you are matching in one of more places, and again in an ideal world you could use the chromosome maps tool on the DNA painter site, to 'paint' your known matchs to see if you triangulate on the same matching areas, and that might help you see that you have a 2nd connection.

Richard
Sellens - Sussex
Newham - Surrey
Wellington - Dagenham, Essex
Camp - South Essex
Wren - Essex
Livermore - Essex
Wane - Essex
Fisk - Essex / Suffolk
Bailey/Bayley - Sussex
Newton - Sussex
Funnell - Sussex
Streeter - Sussex
Coates - Sussex
Maisey - Surrey

Offline Gordon163

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 March 22 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard,

Many thanks for your reply.

Myself and all the matches that I have referred to have Ancestry family trees.

My 3rd gt-grandparents, plus two sons, left Devon for South Wales in 1821. (These are my maternal grandfather's ancestors.)

The shared matches that myself and the Canadian lady have all indicate a connection with 3rd gt-grandmother's family. However, multiple matches could well arise from the period when the family was in Devon, where there were numerous marriages between a small group of families.

I have also discovered that, if I go far enough back, some of grandmother's ancestors lived in the same Devon village as grandfather's family. (Grandmother's paternal ancestors came from Somerset.)

Thanks for mentioning the WATO tool. I have not tried using it, but will endeavour to do so.

Kind regards,

Gordon

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 March 22 07:18 GMT (UK) »
I am linking several known 3rd cousins to 2 people who don't know how we match one has the JONES surname so I was desperately looking for how his grandfather matched but it was actually thru his grandmother with a slightly less common surname  connection going thru her mother's mother who was a JONES .he is a first cousin level with another person I'm helping who matches all my other 3rd  2nd 1st cousins and the Half's and removed . It helps that I manage my mum's and cousin's DNA so I can compare levels .

the two matches newish  question are probably  uncle and nephew rather than first cousins .
Looking forward to it panning out .

To look for earlier connections in your match
Always look closely at the wives too .
Also results can be skwiffed pre 1930s by unofficial family adoptions relatives taking on children .
I have one who are clearly marked  grandson and daughter in 1881 but have become nephew and niece in 1891 ...they turned out to be grandchildren ! 
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 March 22 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Graham look at surnames of the wives

Have you asked this lady if any of your shared matches are known to her .for example if her cousin nephew sibling or child  has tested .compare levels to them too and if a common level emerges

I'm about to write a post about this with examples .

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=860581.0

Offline Gordon163

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 March 22 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

It was the shared matches that convinced me that the connection was with the Knill family rather than the Kelly family. I believe that I have been able to identify her grandfather and am waiting to hear what she thinks on that matter.

She doesn't have any contact with recent family in South Wales, as her parents emigrated to Canada soon after WW2.

Regards,

Gordon

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 March 22 10:23 BST (UK) »
Is the connection thru a non parental event somewhere along the line .

Do either of you have relatives who have tested and have you done the number crunching .
Putting my possible DNA relations next to my new matches all the top suggestions for me to X are the lowest probabilities for my cousin
I'm not good with numbers but if the mutual ancestor and line of descent is correct we should both be 3rd cousins to X
& Come up as 3rd cousin to X's highest match who I believe must be his uncle

Offline Gordon163

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 March 22 16:43 BST (UK) »
This is the sort of thing that started the ball rolling, because I match with her, but not with her brother!

She and her brother have different maternal grandfathers. Her maternal grandfather is related to me.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 March 22 17:14 BST (UK) »
How does it compare with the charts I've posted on new topic .

Link to thread in reply 4

My cousin has a large match to a maybe 3rd cousin compared to my small match .It can just be that you've inherited different bits when.its such a distant level

And yes only having one ggrandparent in common not 2 would make a huge difference