Author Topic: Cookham Burial and Marriage Place Search Request  (Read 592 times)

Offline histbak

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cookham Burial and Marriage Place Search Request
« Reply #9 on: Friday 04 March 22 03:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone

I have not heard back from Cookham Parish council yet with regards Burial Records in Cookham - but my hope is they will respond by email soon.

A bit of Conundrum - as Rosie99 stated the marriage place was recorded as 'Cookham' and William and Rosina's faith was recorded as Anglican...

Literally the only church in 'Cookham' would be the Holy Trinity Church, the other Church of St Johns the Baptist is in 'Cookham Dean'. So could they have married at Holy Trinity even if their denomination is Anglican? I admit I am not knowledgable about religious denominations...but noted that they recorded the difference in place names regarding Rosina living in 'Cookham Dean' and William living in 'Cookham'..so when they recorded that the Wedding took place in 'Cookham' then makes me think they mean the Holy Trinity Church at Cookham as opposed to St Johns The Baptist at Cookham Dean...!?

Is the only way to find out for sure by obtaining a copy Marriage Certificate !?

Looking for any History Information of the surname 'Paul' family of London/Cookham/Wycombe and New Zealand

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 04 March 22 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Holy Trinity and St John the Baptist are both Anglican churches, one located in Cookham and the other in Cookham Dean.

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/BRK/Cookham
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline histbak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 March 22 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Holy Trinity and St John the Baptist are both Anglican churches, one located in Cookham and the other in Cookham Dean.

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/BRK/Cookham

Thanks BumbleB

So that suggests that either could be the Church -  the record tho says in 'Cookham' not 'Cookham Dean' - so is that how we can distinguish, if so then its Holy Trinity in Cookham - wish they had named the Church!...I guess the only other way to find out for sure is to see a copy of the Marriage Certificate...assume the Church where the ceremony took place would be listed on the wedding certificate ?!?
Looking for any History Information of the surname 'Paul' family of London/Cookham/Wycombe and New Zealand

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 March 22 08:32 GMT (UK) »
More than likely that the church would be named on the marriage certificate.  And the two locations are very close to each other.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/102339956
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 04 March 22 11:22 GMT (UK) »
histbak,

Welcome to RootsChat.  :)

If the transcript says 'Cookham' then they really do mean Cookham i.e. Holy Trinity, the original parish church.  Transcribers are required to be very precise in naming locations when transcribing records. The parish St John the Baptist at Cookham Dean was only established in the 19th century as populations grew in size and it drew its congregation from the same original parish. Many parishes were divided like this during the 19th century.

Maidenhead is the civil registration district that includes the civil parish of Cookham, as well as others.  Therefore it is indexed by the GRO under Maidenhead, but it does not imply that the church they married in was located there.

The couple lived in what is known as Cookham Rise which is midway between Cookham Dean on the hill and Cookham which is down by the river.  As the name implies, it is where the land begins to rise.  This area grew up around the railway station.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline histbak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 04 March 22 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Little Nell
Thankyou for the warm welcome as well!

Thankyou very much for your thoughts! I was hoping that was the case ..that it would be such that they would precisely record the correct location.

And thanks much for some of the background info around Cookham - lots of history there.

Now all I have to do is try my best to find out where they are laid to rest...obviously Holy Trinity would be the most likely place to start - but still I have not heard from the Cookham parish Council yet...hoping they will respond soon...and then hope they have the burial records and are accessible remotely... a lot to ask!

The burial location will be the final missing link and is the most important to our family.

Cheers
Jim

histbak,

Welcome to RootsChat.  :)

If the transcript says 'Cookham' then they really do mean Cookham i.e. Holy Trinity, the original parish church.  Transcribers are required to be very precise in naming locations when transcribing records. The parish St John the Baptist at Cookham Dean was only established in the 19th century as populations grew in size and it drew its congregation from the same original parish. Many parishes were divided like this during the 19th century.

Maidenhead is the civil registration district that includes the civil parish of Cookham, as well as others.  Therefore it is indexed by the GRO under Maidenhead, but it does not imply that the church they married in was located there.

The couple lived in what is known as Cookham Rise which is midway between Cookham Dean on the hill and Cookham which is down by the river.  As the name implies, it is where the land begins to rise.  This area grew up around the railway station.

Nell

Offline histbak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 04 March 22 13:39 GMT (UK) »

Ive just heard back from Cookham parish council - thrilled to say they are going to look for burial records!

One thing I have just learned is that the Parish Council carry the records for the Cookham Parish Cemetery at Long Lane only...I never knew it existed!...- so if records are not there then we need to contact the Church directly...and hopefully by a process of elimination we will get there!

Many thanks again to all for all the help and suggestions - learning a lot with every step.