Author Topic: Assistance need dating this image of Henry and Elizabeth Sanderson  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Popeye6

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Assistance need dating this image of Henry and Elizabeth Sanderson
« on: Friday 04 March 22 03:49 GMT (UK) »
After seeing the amazing results of the restoration of a family photo I am once again asking the brains trust for help.  The attached photo is we believe of my GG Grandparents Henry and Elizabeth Sanderson.  Henry was born in 1834 and died in 1893.  His wife Elizabeth was born in 1838 and died in 1922.  I on the other hand am of the opinion that this photo looks like it was taken in the early 1860's or late 1850's going on the clothing of the woman in the image.  If this is the case then this photo would be of my GGG Grandparents Lancelot and Elizabeth Sanderson.  Lancelot was born in 1802 and died in 1861.  His wife Elizabeth was born about 1802 and she died in 1863.  Is there anyone sufficiently experienced who could give me their opinion as to when this image may have been made.  Many thanks in advance for your assistance.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Assistance need dating this image of Henry and Elizabeth Sanderson
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 March 22 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Popeye

Are there any other people that they can be? I ask because my first thoughts would be 1870e-80s but they don't seem to fit with either couple. The lady looks about 70 or more and would not fit with the dates of your gg grandmother and the other couple are too old to fit my possible dates. Also, the man looks  younger than the lady. Could it be a mother and son?

I  hope  Carol might add to my thoughts on the  photo.

Gadget 
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 March 22 22:29 GMT (UK) »
I fully agree with Gadgets response and wonder whether this could be people that you may not have considered. Also the lady looks to be blind or partially sighted which may be a clue.
Carol
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Popeye6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 March 22 01:44 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to post two more photos that might assist but keep getting an error message about the filename.  I have contacted the support team and will await their advice. 

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 March 22 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Images have to have a unique name on Rootschat. You could add the date to the name to see if that works , e.g Popeye 090922

Also there is a file size limit of 500kb. Check that the file is below that.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 March 22 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Popeye,

The first image you uploaded was called "possible gt grandparents" as Gadget said each filename has to be unique so no one else would be able to upload an image with the same filename. This type of filename is a popular type of filename because everyone has "family" or "Grandparents" etc Try a more complex filename like "Greatgrandparentjones"

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Popeye6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 March 22 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the advice folks.  Here are two more images to consider.  The first is Janet the daughter of henry and Elizabeth and one of Janet with her daughter my grandmother. As you can see there is a strong resemblance to the lady in the original photo.  I should have added these were taken in Australia. 

Cheers and thanks for ll of your wonderful advice and assistance.

Bob

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 March 22 21:30 GMT (UK) »
They're certainly very alike*. What was Janet's dates?  Were there any sons?

Different eyes.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 March 22 21:47 GMT (UK) »
My best estimate of the original photo is early 1870s. 

This is dated 1873-4

http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~victorianphotographs/history/date/1873-4.jpg

I have read that the contrasting and lighter waistcoats went out of fashion in the mid 1870s.