Author Topic: Dna  (Read 817 times)

Offline Dotty13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dna
« on: Saturday 05 March 22 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello I was hope someone can explain what this means
I have run my dna results in ged match and I have got them and in one of the heading it got
Haplogroup
Mt  y
What does it mean

Thank you
Dotty

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Dna
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 March 22 14:09 GMT (UK) »
It looks to be saying that your mitochondrial (mt) DNA is haplotype Y. You can read about mitochondrial DNA haplotypes here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_mitochondrial_DNA_haplogroup?wprov=sfti1

In that Wikipedia article it states:

Haplogroup Y has been found with high frequency in many indigenous populations who live around the Sea of Okhotsk, including approximately 66% of Nivkhs, approximately 43% of Ulchs, approximately 40% of Nanais, approximately 21% of Negidals, and approximately 20% of Ainus. It is also fairly common among indigenous peoples of the Kamchatka Peninsula (Koryaks, Itelmens) and among certain Austronesian peoples (especially groups closely related to Native Taiwanese).
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline Dotty13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 March 22 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Under the coloums for Mt and y I have number on both.
It the mt and y I don't understand what there mean I thought one could be my mother (mt) y (dad
I know that might silly but I don't understand dna

Dotty

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 March 22 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Oh, then disregard what I said. I still think ‘mt’ will refer to mitochondrial DNA however.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 March 22 18:37 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Allan that mt  y is most likely to be your mitochondrial haplogroup.

If you've just started getting to grips with DNA, it might be worth reading some of the many resources on the internet, some of which are mentioned in the pinned threads at the top of this board.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 March 22 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Just looking again as I've not used GEDmatch for a couple of years. What particular Application did you use when you got this result e.g What was the title above the results?. Also, are you male or female?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline pughcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 March 22 21:15 GMT (UK) »
The columns in GEDmatch for Haplogroup Mt and Y relate to Mitochondrial DNA haplogroup and Y-DNA haplogroups that can be added to your profile if you have done these additional tests.  Thus when you run a One-to-One comparison you will see your autosomal Cousin matches along with their corresponding Mitochondrial haplogroup and Y-DNA haplogroup if they have done the mtDNA or Y-DNA test. It does not mean that your mtDNA haplogroup = Y. They are merely column headings. This additional information can be useful in sorting your matches.

I recommend that you watch the "New User? How to use GEDmatch" video on the homepage.

pughcd
Ingham, Crabtree, Ogden, Horsfield - Yorkshire, Dixon, Park, Spooner - Westmorland, Drinkwater - Lancashire,  Gonsalves, Tressler - Lahore, Pakistan, Oberbremer, Baute, Rieke, Lindemeier, Sewing, Mesterheide, Clauss, Althoff, Wortmann, - North-Rhine Westphalia, Germany, Grolms, Schonscheck, Weiss, Schwartz, Stephan, Weissin -West Prussia