Author Topic: Kilkenneth  (Read 2827 times)

Offline tattysmum

• RootsChat Member
  • There’s more then one skeleton in my tree...
    • View Profile
Re: Kilkenneth
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 March 22 10:07 GMT (UK) »
I’ve not seen the birth certificate before, so thank you, I will add that to my tree….I found out Ellen came from Kilkenny, then found her parents marriage ( James and Ally Hefferman) in BallyCallan…I will look for the other births, baptisms you mentioned,  plus see if I can find parents or siblings of James and Ally..but any help would be appreciated as a bit slow myself….once again, thank you 😁
Law- Clavering, Langley, Elmdon, Rickling, Arkesden, Saffron Walden…Essex
Cowell-Elmdon, Clavering…Essex
Cross-Streatham, Norwood, London..
Cater-Essex, Norfolk, Suffolk…
Donelly-Kilkenny and surrounding areas Ireland..

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 08 March 22 11:15 GMT (UK) »
How do you know that Ellen's parents are James Donnelly and Ally Hefferman?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 08 March 22 12:59 GMT (UK) »
There are a couple of trees with USA records  and which have James Donnelly and Alice/Ally Heffernan as parents.
There is no Ellen mentioned but these are:
James b 1871
Brigit 1873
Michael 1875

There is this immigration record - 1884 (so Ellen would be 20yrs old)
James, Alice, James, Michael and Bridget Donnelly to Philadelphia which fits with the trees.
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01rcf/
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 08 March 22 14:43 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure that you are on the right track here so can you clarify a few things please.

Have you found the marriage of Abel Law & Ellen Donnelly and if so, what is given for her father’s name & occupation? When & where did the marriage take place and who were the witnesses?

Have you found the birth of their eldest son James in Ireland?

A Family Search tree gives Ellen as born 2 Aug.1864- if this is correct then she can’t have been baptised the previous January as in the baptism mentioned earlier in this thread.

Offline tattysmum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 08 March 22 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that information….After being asked how I know Ellen parents were James and Ally, it questioned my research, so I went as far back as I know my information is correct…so I have now deleted the Donnelly part of my tree and started again….

Offline tattysmum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 08 March 22 15:21 GMT (UK) »
I’ve not found anything on Abel and Ellen… Through the census Abel is in Clavering Essex up to 1871, then back 1891, this is when I think he went to Ireland…on the 1891 census Ellen is with him, with a son James born 1887 Ireland…I can not find any info on James except 1911 census if correct, which states born at sea,

I did have birth date for Ellen as 2nd August 1864 which I found on the 1939 census with her son Walter in Wisbech, but looking through records today, the Ellen was listed as living at this address every year from about 1899, so can not be the Ellen I’m looking for…

So I’ve now deleted what I had, and will try again …Thank you for your help

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 08 March 22 15:29 GMT (UK) »
I didn't say they weren't her parents but you do need to be sure the details are correct before making assumptions. The surname Donnelly is fairly common and the Christian name Ellen more so. There could easily be multiple ones with the same name born around that period. Civil registration of births only started in 1864 and not all births pre-1870 were actually registered (possibly the more remote the area or time of year/weather then it's more likely parents didn't visit the Registrar but the children likely would have been baptised soon after birth). Which brings up another problem in that not all registers survive and of those that do not all are online.

I asked about the marriage details for Abel Law & Ellen Donnelly as that should list her father's name and occupation but you haven't given any information yet. The witnesses may also have been related to Ellen and the place is also an important clue.
Likewise the birth of eldest son James William Law in Ireland. Same FS tree says born 23 Nov.1887.

I have found lots more information which may help but will wait for you to provide some answers before posting more.

Posted before your latest reply.
So does this mean you also haven't found a marriage for Abel & Ellen?

Offline tattysmum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 08 March 22 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the info….I didn’t say anything about you and Ellen’s Parents….Believe it or not I was grateful for your comment which made me double check what I had…All the info I’ve collected on Ellen was in the last two days so nothing has been verified…As in my older posts from 2007 you can see how long I’ve been trying to find anything on Ellen….I don’t know at lot about Irish history, so I’m grateful for any help I receive

I have nothing on Abel and Ellen’s marriage…I only know she came from Ireland as on my grandfathers birth certificate, then when I started my tree I found more siblings, one being James and like Ellen all it states is Ireland…..I’ve not been able to find anything else….

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 08 March 22 16:32 GMT (UK) »

I did have birth date for Ellen as 2nd August 1864 which I found on the 1939 census with her son Walter in Wisbech......

Remember that the 1939 was a National Register and was used to issue Identity Cards and Ration Books initially.

Later it was used by the NHS as it's Central Register, until the 1990's.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo