Author Topic: Help to decipher DNA results  (Read 1159 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help to decipher DNA results
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 March 22 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Although the various companies push ethnicity as a selling point for their DNA kits, the primary purpose is really about our genetic connections with others which enables us to  add to our family trees.   The ethnicity results really depend on the size and composition of the companies' reference group. Ancestry seems to have the largest one.

Ancestry's description of how ethnicity is calculated:

How do we come up with your estimate?

To figure out your ethnicity regions, we compare your DNA to a reference panel made up of DNA from groups of people who have deep roots in one region. We look at 1,001 sections of your DNA and assign each section to the ethnicity region it looks most like. Then we turn those results into the percentages you see in your estimate. Your genetic link to these ethnicities can go back hundreds of years or even more.

and

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/dna-help/ethnicity/intro
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline AJH - Holmes and Gordon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 March 22 15:09 GMT (UK) »
There is an "unlock fee" for both companies to get all the features but it is still cheaper than buying 2 brand new tests.

I'll look into it  ;)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 March 22 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Although the various companies push ethnicity as a selling point for their DNA kits, the primary purpose is really about our genetic connections with others which enables us to  add to our family trees.   The ethnicity results really depend on the size and composition of the companies' reference group. Ancestry seems to have the largest one.

Thanks for that, interesting reading and something I have yet to explore with the DNA  ;)

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 March 22 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Interesting to read your early comments. I tested with Ancestry and discovered that my dad was not my genetic dad, much to my surprise, and that my ethnicity was largely Irish and Scottish (via the USA). Prior to that all my paper research carried out over 20 odd years had seemed to prove that both sides of my tree were solidly English back to at least the 18th century.

I have come round to the idea that my paternal tree is rubbish but I remain convinced that my mother was as English as they come. But Ancestry says that I have less than 5% of Northern European blood in me. Now, unless I was a foundling adopted by my apparent mother, it seems odd that the women who passed down 50% of my DNA should be ignored by the Ancestry ethnicity estimate. And yet the MH estimates are generally considered to be much cruder and likely to give you the weird results you found.

So don't bother too much with ethnicity. Concentrate on the DNA matches which are far more reliable.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 11 March 22 15:36 GMT (UK) »

So don't bother too much with ethnicity. Concentrate on the DNA matches which are far more reliable.

Will do  ;)