Author Topic: Sybil Edith Crase  (Read 2660 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Sybil Edith Crase
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 09 March 22 09:19 GMT (UK) »
As I read Wivenhoes post ....

Baby Beryl died aged 7 months in April 1904.   Newspaper in December 1904 seems to have Mr & Mrs HG Crase and child on passenger list.  Who is the child? 

Perhaps there is a printers error in the date of that edition or perhaps there would be two families Mr & Mrs HG Crase and child in Perth  December  1904.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 09 March 22 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Ah, I see, I mis read the date of the shipping arrival. My apologies.

Offline Valsgirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 09 March 22 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Beryl Emily Douglas Crase born Sept 1903 NSW & died April 1904 aged 7 months in W Aus. Her parents Harold George Crase & Edith Annie Crase. Both birth & death notices are reported in Newspaper.
Edith Annie walked away from her first 1896 NSW marriage to George Forster,after 6 months, and is granted a divorce in 1898. In 1902 Edith marries Harold George Crase in Perth W Aus. Their son Douglas Crase is born May 1905 W Aus. Edith & Harold 's marriage according to many "juicy" newspaper articles is an unhappy one. Articles relating to a Crase v Crase Court case fill the reader in on much of Edith's background and state that the couple had two children a deceased daughter and living son.
My thought is that had Sybil been an illegitimate child (born 1901 between Edith Annie's marriages) this fact would have been mentioned in court.  For this reason I have really questioned if Harold George & Edith Annie are Sybil's parents.

Edith Annie Crase died 1911 W Aus.

Harold remarries Marion Kirkland.

Hope this makes it all clearer.

re 1904 Ships Passenger List. Mr & Mrs H G Crase & child. Surprisingly there are a few Crase (and variations / misspellings) around. Worth looking at?  I'm not convinced they're the Harold George Crase family.

re Adelaide Conservatorium. A generous man replied to an email I sent to the Con. and I have details of Sybil's tuition payment. Another name! I'm convinced this person is not related to Sybil.
Once again Thanks to all who have contributed to this topic.
Valsgirl   

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 10 March 22 01:59 GMT (UK) »
Could Sybil have been an illegitimate child given up for adoption or fostering? That could be a reason for not being mentioned in the divorce papers.
Does you friend have a possible birthdate for Sybil, Ie, did she ever celebrate her birthday?
Regards
Jennaya

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 10 March 22 04:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I wonder whether some answers might lie with the second wife of Harold George CRASE.
Marion Kirkwood KEMP.

She was born in SA to Peter and Mary KEMP in 1871 (BISA) and was their second daughter .  An older sister Bessie Jane is mentioned in the death notice of Marion.  Bessie married William J MAIDMENT in SA.

Death Notice for Marion
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/33244430

She was known as Madame Marion KEMP and had a lengthy and illustrious career as a contralto.

She studied at the Elder Conservatorium.
A graduation item. 1903
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/96957611

She married Harold Geo in 1911 and had a daughter the next year.

It seems to me there might be a connection with the singing talent in both women. Inherited?
Or a protege style of arrangement between the two ?

Anyhow, I am still digging around on this theory ! ::)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 10 March 22 04:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I wonder whether some answers might lie with the second wife of Harold George CRASE.
Marion Kirkwood KEMP.

She was born in SA to Peter and Mary KEMP in 1871 (BISA) and was their second daughter .  An older sister Bessie Jane is mentioned in the death notice of Marion.  Bessie married William J MAIDMENT in SA.

Death Notice for Marion
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/33244430

She was known as Madame Marion KEMP and had a lengthy and illustrious career as a contralto.

She studied at the Elder Conservatorium.
A graduation item. 1903
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/96957611

She married Harold Geo in 1911 and had a daughter the next year.

It seems to me there might be a connection with the singing talent in both women. Inherited?
Or a protege style of arrangement between the two ?

Anyhow, I am still digging around on this theory ! ::)

I was thinking the same thing. Musical talent does seem to run in families.

I also think it is worth looking further into the Eleanor Crase who was a witness at Sybil's marriage. It would be strange if they were not related, given that Crase is such an unusual surname.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 10 March 22 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Although it probably has no bearing on the direction of this search, I was a bit sad to note that the daughter of Marion Kirkwood CRASE, whose name was Marion Dorothy Kirkwood CRASE, died in 1941 and is buried in an unmarked grave at Orange Cemetery NSW.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 11 March 22 00:06 GMT (UK) »

re Adelaide Conservatorium. A generous man replied to an email I sent to the Con. and I have details of Sybil's tuition payment. Another name! I'm convinced this person is not related to Sybil.

What is the name of the benefactor who paid Sybil's tuition? The researchers here may be able to find some connection?

I also think it is worth looking further into the Eleanor Crase who was a witness at Sybil's marriage. It would be strange if they were not related, given that Crase is such an unusual surname.

I agree. I assume Eleanor CRASE who was witness at the marriage was the daughter of Arthur Vivian CRASE? (Though there are other Eleanor CRASE's in Australia at the time, not necessarily in SA) He seems to be be from a large family - is Eleanor a cousin?

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 11 March 22 01:36 GMT (UK) »
I have  E (Eleanor) Crase's details

She has the same surname as Sybil, why would you think she is irrelevant to the search?

I agree. I assume Eleanor CRASE who was witness at the marriage was the daughter of Arthur Vivian CRASE? (Though there are other Eleanor CRASE's in Australia at the time, not necessarily in SA) He seems to be be from a large family - is Eleanor a cousin?

Arthur Vivian was the son of of James CRASE and Mary MOYLE.  Harold George CRASE was the son of Arthur Vivian's eldest brother George, so Harold was Arthur's nephew.  I doubt that Eleanor was their biological child.

Debra  :)