Author Topic: Ceylon -- any digitised sources 1905-10??  (Read 560 times)

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ceylon -- any digitised sources 1905-10??
« on: Tuesday 08 March 22 14:48 GMT (UK) »
I see that someone enquired eight years ago if any RootsChatter knew of a digitised source of arrivals and departures to Ceylon during the 1920s. My question is slightly different although I too would be interested in such a source.
Does anyone know of a digitised source of Ceylon English-language newspapers covering 1905-10?

In hope that someone knows something ...
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ceylon -- any digitised sources 1905-10??
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 March 22 16:04 GMT (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 March 22 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shaun! I've had a look and he doesn't show up --- too junior I think and he was only there for such a short time. However, I have another family which was there for ages so I have put the reference in that file instead. Thank you for that!
What I would really like is a digital version of the 'Ceylon Times' but have only been able to find physical copies in various libraries ...
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Online Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 March 22 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Another English language newspaper is the Ceylon Observer, but I don't know if its online.

FYI - FindMyPast have this collection: British In Ceylon Parish Records
These records span 1815 until 1948 and have been collected and transcribed by the Kabristan Archives. They include the names of those who were serving in Ceylon and were married, died, or had children. The collection also include over a thousand names of those were served in Ceylon during the First World War.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 March 22 20:01 GMT (UK) »
To add to Hillhurst's post, the indexes are also available for free at the Kabristan Archives website:
https://www.kabristan.org.uk/kabristan-indexes/sri-lanka-indexes

I recently purchased a .pdf of one of their publications and was pleased with the service. I had better success contacting them through email rather than through the website.

I, too, was looking for an online source of the English-language Ceylon newspaper(s), so I'd be very interested if anyone knows of one. I don't have access to any of the university libraries that might offer them.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 March 22 20:19 GMT (UK) »
The Journal of the Dutch Burgher Union of Ceylon [1908-2005] is available online.  I don't know if it contains items unconnected to the descendants of Dutch burghers but it was published in English.

https://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/serial?id=jdutchburgher
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 March 22 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Josephine and Erato

Sadly it looks as though there are no digitised versions of contemporary Ceylon newspapers unlike, say, Singapore, whose newspapers are all accessible online and are a joy to work with.

It's good to know there are several sources for BMD in colonial Ceylon. Unfortunately the chap I'm trying to trace didn't do any of those things while he was there!

The Burgher Union is a completely new source to me. As I think I mentioned earlier in the thread, there is another family I'm interested in who spent nearly 200 years in Ceylon and definitely married into the Dutch Burgher descendants, so that could be very useful for them.