Author Topic: Help with DNA puzzle please (it's driving me nuts!)  (Read 1641 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Help with DNA puzzle please (it's driving me nuts!)
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 23 March 22 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Oh GAN Yan  with that knowledge your DNA together with your husband's results could definitely help others understand their potential matches ..

I for one would be interested to know if you had higher matches than those  mutual cousins.

Would also be willing to help you understand results if you did it on ancestry ...I haven't got a working knowledge of other sites

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 23 March 22 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Mpb do you have facility to look at shared matches of shared matches ?

Over60cm is quite a large amount I have a 76cm who is a half second cousin
Same great grandfather different great grandmother

Out of interest do you have any particular regions or surnames that keep cropping up in your matches but not as far as you know in your tree
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 23 March 22 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Oh GAN Yan  with that knowledge your DNA together with your husband's results could definitely help others understand their potential matches ..

I for one would be interested to know if you had higher matches than those  mutual cousins.

Would also be willing to help you understand results if you did it on ancestry ...I haven't got a working knowledge of other sites

Brigidmac - Thanks! As I said in my post I haven't actually done any DNA tests, but when I do it will probably be via ancestry and I'll be back for your help in its interpretation. :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mpb56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 23 March 22 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Gan Yam and brigidmac for your thoughts - all are really helpful!

I have my DNA with all the ‘main’ players; Ancestry, 23 and me, My Heritage and Family Tree DNA. With all of them I can see shared matches of shared matches and some of the sites unlike Ancestry will show the amount of DNA that the shared match shares with the shared match! I think this may be getting confusing but hopefully it makes sense!!

As you note 60cM is quite a lot so I would expect the MRCA to not be too far back; could be a not the expected parent event.

I don’t have any particular regions or surnames that keep cropping up other than a different issue or two.  A) my maternal grandmother’s father is unknown - no father listed on her birth certificate and B) my paternal grand father is unknown- my DNA shows that I am about 22% Ashkenazi Jew and this must be from my paternal grandfather; as a result of this I get a large number of matches who share a small amount of DNA with me possible due to endogamy. If you have any thoughts on how to move A and B forward I would love to know!!