Author Topic: Where in Northumberland? ... LDS frustrations  (Read 379 times)

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
  • William Preston M.R.C.S. (1823-1858)
    • View Profile
Where in Northumberland? ... LDS frustrations
« on: Thursday 10 March 22 00:00 GMT (UK) »
The Northumberland parish registers collection on the familysearch website is great except that it doesn't always show the parish or chapel in which the baptism took place.

I'm sure that a few years ago one of the experts on here explained to me that there *is* a way to figure this out but if so I must have forgotten as I don't see any additional citation info such as a film number that I can look up in the catalogue.

This is the particular record I was looking at but it's one of many :

"England, Northumberland, Parish Registers, 1538-1950", database with images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:ZQ3X-YFPZ : 22 April 2021), Elizabeth Brown, 1847.

I hold my hands up to being a pedant but it can't just be me who is frustrated by a baptism location given as "Northumberland"?!  What am I missing?
Preston in Newcastle (1770-1850) ; Brumwell - Weardale and Newcastle ; Wylie (Newcastle 1800-1870) ; Slaughter (Sussex and South Shields 1750-1850) ; Barkas (Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Redshaw (Medomsley and Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Simpson (Hamsterley 1720-1820) ; Anderson (Ryton 1750-1850) ; Chilton (Darlington 1750-1920) ; Pattison (West Tanfield, Bellerby, Northallerton) ; Sanderson (Hamsterley and Stanhope (1750-1850)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Where in Northumberland? ... LDS frustrations
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 March 22 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Why blame FamilySearch if the Woodhorn Museum and Northumberland Archives won't let them display the full information?
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 March 22 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Brown’s birth was registered at Glendale Union workhouse. This may help a little.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 March 22 00:44 GMT (UK) »
If you use the dropdown arrow beneath where it says 'image unavailable' it will give you a Digital Folder Number, in this case 004023215.  Searching the catalogue using that brings up this:

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01rcl/

Only Ancroft Moor covers 1847
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 March 22 09:07 GMT (UK) »
If you use the dropdown arrow beneath where it says 'image unavailable' it will give you a Digital Folder Number, in this case 004023215.  Searching the catalogue using that brings up this:

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01rcl/

Only Ancroft Moor covers 1847

and if you want to cross check, then click on the line, in that link Jomot gave you, for Ancroft
you can then click on the magnifying glass icon to search for
first name Elizabeth, last name Brown
 scroll right to the bottom and select the 'type' as birth , baptism and christening and the same record as you started with is there in the list.

Boo

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
  • William Preston M.R.C.S. (1823-1858)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 March 22 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all!

Erato - I wasn't blaming anyone (except myself for forgetting how to do this) let alone FamilySearch.  I'm always grateful to anyone who publishes online (especially for free!) new information.  I do still think though that this collection would be a lot easier to use if they added the church/chapel name without the need to drill down to a digital file number.

Jomot - thanks very much.  :) I missed that arrow when scanning the screen for a link.  Ancroft Moor makes sense but, of course, I'll check against the original the next time that I can make it to Woodhorn.

Neale1961 - thanks too.  Are you sure about the workhouse bit though?  On the gro.gov.uk site when it says 'Glendale Union' for the birth index entry, it doesn't (necessarily) mean the workhouse. 

Tickettyboo - thanks Boo.  I think it was you that gave me this tip last time so I'll be sure to make a note of it this time!  I tried using the magnifying glass cross-check but it seemed to return me the same result whichever of the 3 chapels I selected first. 

Thanks all again for the expert advice  :)

Jon
Preston in Newcastle (1770-1850) ; Brumwell - Weardale and Newcastle ; Wylie (Newcastle 1800-1870) ; Slaughter (Sussex and South Shields 1750-1850) ; Barkas (Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Redshaw (Medomsley and Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Simpson (Hamsterley 1720-1820) ; Anderson (Ryton 1750-1850) ; Chilton (Darlington 1750-1920) ; Pattison (West Tanfield, Bellerby, Northallerton) ; Sanderson (Hamsterley and Stanhope (1750-1850)