Author Topic: William Henry George Spencer (born 19 Jul 1898) of Warsash, Hampshire  (Read 524 times)

Offline Buffnut453

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Henry George Spencer (born 19 Jul 1898) of Warsash, Hampshire
« on: Thursday 10 March 22 02:38 GMT (UK) »
I’m hoping someone out there is researching Spencer families in Warsash.  I’m trying to find a picture of William Henry George Spencer who was born in Warsash, Hampshire, on 19 Jul 1898.

One of my relatives, James Gamble, was a Sergeant Pilot with 11 Squadron in late 1918 thru mid-1919 and served with Sergeant Pilot William Henry George Spencer.  According to William’s service record, he lived at 2 Victoria Villas, Warsash, Hampshire.  His parents were Oliver Reginald Spencer and Annie Elizabeth Smith.  I believe William died in 1955, so perhaps the odds of locating his family may be slim.   

I have a few photographs which I believe show William but, unfortunately, I can’t positively identify him from one of three potential Sergeant Pilots who served with my relative.  In the attached photo, the 3 unidentified Sergeant Pilots are the 2 men seated on the ground and the man standing at rear right (my relative, Jim Gamble, is standing second from right).

I also have images of William’s service record, and the 11 Squadron Daily Flying Returns and Daily States records for the period October 1918 thru July 1919, which include several mentions of William Spencer.  I’ll gladly share any information I have about him with anyone who can help with my quest.   

I’d dearly love to put names to the unidentified faces in my photographs, and further complete the story of my relative’s First World War service.  Any and all help would be hugely appreciated. 

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: William Henry George Spencer (born 19 Jul 1898) of Warsash, Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 March 22 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I can't help with your quest for names but I'd like to suggest you post your pic to the restoration board with a link here as they will do a good restore & possibly colour it for you...

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/free-photo-restoration/

It's a lovely pic.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Buffnut453

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 March 22 03:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Annie.  I really like the pic.  Sadly, the original image is rather small and in poor condition, so there will likely be limits to what can be achieved. 

The group photo has 21 senior NCOs of 11 Squadron.  I've positively identified 8 of them with probable identities for another 3.  It would be great to put a name to one of the other faces. 

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 March 22 03:46 GMT (UK) »
Have you considered a post with subject heading as '11 Squadron', what they were, yrs relevant with some info. & post a link to here for any/all replies?

My reasoning is, many people reading your heading won't relate their own families to the name but more likely to relate to the Squadron with dates/areas possibly?

Edit...I forgot to add...WW1 board on here...https://www.rootschat.com/forum/world-war-one/

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Buffnut453

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 March 22 04:39 GMT (UK) »
Yeah...I've already put a couple of posts in the WW1 board with no joy as yet.  I figured I'd try putting details of some of the more readily-identifiable airmen on the regional boards just in case it drummed up some interest. 

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 March 22 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried The Warsash Local History Society

https://www.warsash-lhs.org.uk/
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Buffnut453

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 March 22 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Oooohhh....Thanks bearkat.  I hadn't tried them.  Definitely worth my asking.  Appreciate the idea and the link. 

Offline Buffnut453

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 April 22 23:25 BST (UK) »
Quick update...I managed to identify one of the 3 unidentified pilots by tracking down a surviving niece.  I'm now down to a 50-50 choice between the 2 gents sitting on the ground in the photo.  One of them is William Henry George Spencer and the other is William Walter Franklin. 

I reached out to the Warsash Local History Society but, alas, haven't had a response yet. 

Anyone out there looking at Spencer families in Warsash? 

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 April 22 01:52 BST (UK) »
I'm now down to a 50-50 choice between the 2 gents sitting on the ground in the photo.  One of them is William Henry George Spencer and the other is William Walter Franklin. 

William Henry George Spencer b1898 Warsash, Hamps - d1955 Southampton, Hamps, son of Oliver Reginald Spencer & Annie Elizabeth (m/s Smith)
married Dec Qtr 1923 at Kingston-upon-Thames, Surrey, to
Dorothy Florence Amelia Humby b1902 Titchfield, Hamps - d1991 Southampton, Hamps

1939 residence Potters Bar, Middlesex

There appears to be 1 f living descendant b1933 Barnet (FreeBMD)...
"Barnet spans the boundaries of the counties of Middlesex and Hertfordshire"

Annie