Author Topic: Jane Lowther Born circa 1799 - Parents  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Claire McCormick

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane Lowther Born circa 1799 - Parents
« on: Thursday 10 March 22 05:20 GMT (UK) »
This is the first time I have posted to Roots Chat so please forgive me if I have created this post incorrectly or in the wrong place.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with my brickwall in my family tree. I was born and raised in Cumbria but live in Australia and so I am unable to visit any records office in Cumbria.

I am looking for the parents of Jane Lowther born in Wigton, Cumberland around 1799. I have her marriage record to William Stuart (Stewart) 6 May 1822 also in Wigton with the reference numbers FHL Film Number 0962150 IT 4, 0962151 IT 1, 252840, 252841.

There is also another marriage record on the same date also in Wigton for William Stuart but this time marrying a Jane Jonston ref numbers FHL Film Number: 90685 Reference ID: 316. I wondered if for some reason there were two records created. Perhaps if her mother was a Lowther but unwed and Jane’s biological father had the surname Jonston.

I also have all of Jane’s census records each one up to, except for 1871, have her living in Townhead West, Penrith, Cumberland. She is listed as a potter and her husband as a dealer in earthenware. I know there was a large Lowther family of potters and earthenware dealers in the area who married into families with similar occupations and also as licensed hawkers with the surnames Miller and Young which also come into my family tree. In 1851 Jane and her husband William were living next door to a Henry & Betsy Lowther. Henry was also born in Wigton and is listed an earthenware dealer but I have found through my research that he is not a brother. Perhaps he is a nephew or cousin but I haven’t been able to identify the link. In 1871 she and William are living with their daughter Ann Miller at 3 Miller’s Court, Botchergate, Carlisle in the same court as their son William Stewart, a horse dealer.     

I have an ancestry subscription but have been unable to solve the brickwall online.

If anyone is able to help me identify Jane Lowther’s parents that would be really appreciated. I have done a huge amount of research into my Cumberland/Westmorland family tree branches which I would be very happy to share. The surnames I have researched are: McCormick (Carlisle), Stewart (Carlisle/Caldbeck/Penrith/Raughton Head/Armathwaite), Snowden (Kendal/Caldbeck/Armathwaite), Addison (Kendal/Clifton DykesStainton/Bolton) and Whitehead (Lambrigg). Many thanks.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Lowther Born circa 1799 - Parents
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 March 22 06:26 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to roots chat, Claire.

This does not help with her birth but
1871 census Botchergate Carlisle, Jane and William Stewart are living in the house of their daughter Ann Miller (widow)

Oops .. I see you already have that. Sorry to duplicate. :)
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 March 22 06:56 GMT (UK) »
The majority of Lowther baptisms seems to be in either St Bees or Bewcastle. I am assuming you have seen the one for a Jane Lowther in St Bees in 1796.

There is a baptism in Great Orton on 23 Oct 1791 for a Jane LOWTHER to parents
William LOWTHER and Martha STANWIX.
I cannot see any other children baptised to this couple, nor a marriage for them.

This is about the closest I can find to Wigton. If she was older than her husband, it is possible Jane has been “flexible” with her age.

Claire, are you able to post the names of Jane’s children, and when they were born?
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Claire McCormick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 March 22 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for taking the time to look into my question Neale1961. Jane and William's children all with the surname Stewart are Charles (1825-1901), Mary (1827), William (1831-1872), Ann (1834), Maragret (1836-1865), John (1838-1909), Sarah J (1841) and Edward (1845). I didn't know about Bewcastle baptisms. I discounted the St Bees and Great Orton ones as it was consistently recorded in all the census records that she was born in Wigton and her age has stayed consistent with a birth year of between 1798-1800 with only a 1-2 year age difference with her husband. Many thanks again. 

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 18:50 BST (UK) »
If you are on Ancestry send me a message (if you still visit Rootschat) though you will have to post again to be able to do that. I will invite you to my tree as this family are related to me. I may not have it 100% correct but I have tried for years to untangle the household. I am related through Ann's parents Henry Lowther and Johannah Young.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Claire McCormick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 May 23 03:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Boongie Pam So sorry for the late reply, I don't use RootsChat very often. Thank you for replying. I tried to find you on Ancestry but without any luck. My public Tree is McCormick-Horne Family Tree. I came up with a plausible theory for Jane Lowther that involves illegitimacy, a 12-year-old mother and Jane being brought up by an aunt. If you would like to check out my comments for Jane Lowther on my tree I would love to hear your feedback on my theory. Claire   

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 June 23 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire,

I've sent you a message on Ancestry - we definitely have a connected tree :)

Thanks,
Pam
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!