Author Topic: Kent theatres  (Read 439 times)

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Kent theatres
« on: Thursday 10 March 22 13:41 GMT (UK) »
To an extent this request re-visits others placed in the past...that concentrated on the printer, Charles Mate (senior), of Dover; and Dover theatres.  Mate himself opened a theatre and I have details...But his initial ingress remains a mystery.

My first clue is to correspondence that appeared in 1773, thus suggesting a previous acquaintance.  Mate had been a sailor but it has not, so far, been possible to say when this portion of his life changed to that where the theatre was prominent.

To this end, perhaps contributors can help me with the histories of four theatres in particular - Deal, Dover, Margate and Canterbury.  Mate was very much involved with the Dover theatre but this was at a later date than 1773.

I am aware that each - or even all - of these theatres featured in eighteenth century circuits but I cannot set a time-line.

Any morsels and references would be welcome.

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Kent theatres
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 March 22 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Have you read "Retrospections of the Stage" by John BERNARD?
https://archive.org/details/retrospectionsof00bernrich/page/n5/mode/2up

I haven't searched through it all, though Charles MATE is mentioned a few times.

You have probably seen newspaper items about the laying of the first stone of the "New Royal Theatre" Margate on 21 Sept 1786 (Charles Mate is one of the proprietors inscribed on the stone).

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 March 22 04:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, M
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 March 22 05:12 GMT (UK) »
Usual gremlins...Sorry.

Thanks anyway, Maddy.  I've come across  Bernard's remarks here and there though I've no access to the book itself.  I do have the story of 'the stone'.

But I lack any references to the theatres themselves.  Mate had a peripatetic early marriage and I want to see if he had concourse at any those theatres I mentioned.

I've tried Dover Historian - with no success; and have spent much time trawling through newspapers on line - same outcome. Just need a few clues!

roly

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 March 22 07:40 GMT (UK) »
In case you missed the link in the post by maddys52, the Bernard book is available to view for free at the Internet Archive.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 March 22 07:56 GMT (UK) »
From 'Notes and Queries' 1931-03-14; vol 160, issue 12

Accessed at the Internet Archive, transcribed by me, apologies for any errors.

MARGATE In 1762 William Smith, a wool-comber of Essex, having turned stroller, rented a barn at Margate and built the Dean Theatre. In 1768 Smith sold his interests to Thomas Burton, a former ostler at the Ship Inn, Faversham, who had been employed at the theatre as a candle-snuffer. Burton died in 1771, when the theatre was taken over by William Brown and James Richardson, of Canterbury , who managed it until it was bought by Charles Mate in 1779. (op. cit. ) Winston (op cit) narrates that the actors used frequently to assemble outside the theatre to attract a crowd, lead them in, and then start their play. In 1784, Mrs. Baker set up an opposition house, but the people of Margate were loyal to Mate, and the attempt came to nothing. Mate was a go-ahead person and in 1786 he laid the foundation-stone of new playhouse, which it cost him £3,000 to construct, and which opened on 1787, with “She Stoops to Conquer.” prices were 4s., 2s, 6d., and 1s., and the capacity of the house, £80. In 1784 Mate had been joined by a Mr. Robson in the management. In 1790 Robson sold his share to a Mr. King, of Covent Garden, for £900, while a few years later Mate disposed of his to Grubb, of Drury Lane, and went to join a company at Dover. From 1790 to 1792 the house was managed for King and Grubb by two deputies, Hull and Shaw, the first of whom superintended the acting and the staging of plays, while the other directed the orchestra, In the summer of 1789 a Mr Russel became manager.

Added: I managed to track down an earlier issue that contained more of this article ‘Notes on English Provincial Playhouses in the Eighteenth Century’, which is arranged alphabetically by name of town. There are no entries for Canterbury, Deal or Dover.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 March 22 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Alan.  I had accessed Bernard online...The piece you sent is valuable in filling in numerous gaps and in adding detail.

I'll keep your final reference in mind.

Mate was an odd cove in some ways...I still don't know when he went to sea (he did!) and when he gave up that aspect of his life and took to the theatre; nor when he actually started printing...I've got a plausible couple of dates for the latter - between 1808 and 1811.

Onwards and sideways, it seems.

roly