Author Topic: Moyes family  (Read 2522 times)

Offline 492742

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Moyes family
« on: Monday 09 August 04 14:59 BST (UK) »
I'm researching my great grand father's tree, but I have come to a dead end? his name is James Moyes his parents are William and Jane (sometimes known as jean) He had 2 brothers, William and John and 1 sister, Elizabeth...
All I know is that they had a family buisness called William Moyes & Sons. Based around Scotland. But I can't find any information on William (JR) nor Elizabeth, or the company. His mothers madain name was Dearness (Or someting like that) and John married a Mary Drysdale while James married a Mary Potts.

If anyone can help, please do. :-\

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: Moyes family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 August 04 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hiya Leannethemouse,

And a warm welcome to rootschat.

What time frame are you looking at here?  I'm not sure there are many people with acces to census but some years of birth even if they are rough estimates may help.

All the best,
Pam
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline 492742

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 August 04 18:45 BST (UK) »
James Moyes was born on the 25 of march in 1867, his brother john was born on the 29th of december in 1856, his sister elizabeth would be born in about 1865 (give or take a few years) and his older brother william was born on the 25/26th january in 1858.
their father william would have maybe been born in1834 as would Jane dearness their mother, I can;t find a marraige cirtif. In any of the places they were known to be living in - could there be a chance they got married somewhere else? I'm on 16 and have no idea how i;m surpose to be doing this. 

Offline Kate B

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 August 06 21:38 BST (UK) »
Go to www.familysearch.org and search for a marriage for Jane Dearness.

This shows her husband as William Moyes and that they were married on 20 APR 1855 in Leith, Midlothian.

If you then do a parent search on the same website, it shows the dates of birth of all their children.

So then do a search on William Jnr and Elizabeth...you might be lucky.  Or try searching on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk (pay to view, but well worth the 6GBP)

Genealogists don't die, they just lose their census.