Author Topic: Alexander Sutherland and Elizabeth Waite in Drainie  (Read 505 times)

Offline davidmilroy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Sutherland and Elizabeth Waite in Drainie
« on: Thursday 10 March 22 15:55 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any info or clues re my 4th great grandparents, Alexander Sutherland and Elizabeth Waite (maybe White). I have the birth, marriage and death records for their daughter, my 3rd great grandmother, Isobell (or Isabella). She married James Stevenson, a seaman from Fife, in Lossiemouth in 1813 and moved with him to Limekilns/Dunfermline where their 7 children (Elizabeth, Helen, James, William, John, David and Margaret) were born between 1814 and 1828. She died there in 1872. I have nothing on Alexander other than that he was a farmer, according to Isobell's death record. Any help gratefully received. Regards, David Milroy.
Wigtown:Milroy,Paterson,McClelland,Kelly/Miskelly,McPherson,Dodds,McCulloch,Stewart,Broadfoot,Donnan,Carnochan,Agnew,Blair/Blain,Jackson,Brown,McGill,Montgomery,Davidson,Donaldson
Lanark:Kay,Young,McAllister,Muir,Buchanan
Kirkcudbright:Hutchison,Robertson
Renfrew:Loudon,Harper,Miller,Anderson
Fife:Barnett,Mcdonald,Thomson,Lumsden,Wood,Pryde,Melville,Stevenson,Inglis
Moray:Sutherland,Waite
Stirling:Sharp,Grosart,Gray,Mitchell,Morison
Berwick:Craig
Ayr:Kennedy,Barclay,McKenna
Kinross:Henderson

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Sutherland and Elizabeth Waite in Drainie
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 March 22 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked LIBINDX http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp ?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline davidmilroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 March 22 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian. I have done but no joy there.
Wigtown:Milroy,Paterson,McClelland,Kelly/Miskelly,McPherson,Dodds,McCulloch,Stewart,Broadfoot,Donnan,Carnochan,Agnew,Blair/Blain,Jackson,Brown,McGill,Montgomery,Davidson,Donaldson

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 March 22 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Where was Isabella born?

What maiden name is given for Elizabeth on the baptism of Isabella & what maiden name was given on Isabella's death?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline davidmilroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 March 22 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie - Her birth was registered in Drainie Parish, with her father Alexander living in what looks like "Billermie" (poss. phonetic Balormie). On the birth/baptism record her mother is quite clearly "Eliz. Waite". On the death record, it looks like "Elizabeth Whaite", but the "i" seems to have a long tail, and a case could be made for it being "Whyte". The informant was her daughter Margaret. Her first name is recorded with spellings Isobell at birth, Isobel on marriage, and Isabella at death.
David.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 March 22 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie - Her birth was registered in Drainie Parish, with her father Alexander living in what looks like "Billermie" (poss. phonetic Balormie). On the birth/baptism record her mother is quite clearly "Eliz. Waite". On the death record, it looks like "Elizabeth Whaite", but the "i" seems to have a long tail, and a case could be made for it being "Whyte". The informant was her daughter Margaret. Her first name is recorded with spellings Isobell at birth, Isobel on marriage, and Isabella at death.
David.

You missed the important thing, baptism date (this I think) 11/02/1787.

Have you expanded your search on her siblings as often other info. can come through MI's, Newspaper entries, Biographies etc.

There may be others researching the family i.e. it may be an idea to list the siblings which may be found on a google search by others?

Local dialect/accent can make spelling/sounding a bit different to the actual word although White seems to have been used more frequently on the baptisms.

I have the surname Steel(e) in my tree but can sound/be found as 'Still' with their soft highland accent.

It's rather odd Isabella (variants) & husband James Stevenson don't have a son named Alexander after her father?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline pandacub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 March 22 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello davidmilroy
Just come across this post.  I have a Leonard Anderson from Drainie 1698-1772 on my tree.  I have only just started on that branch but I think he was married to Katherin Sutherland.  Wondered if by any chance there is some connection somewhere with your Alexander Sutherland. 
London: Bethell, Bradbury, Butlin, Cantrill, Corfe, Darby, Fisher, Medcraft, Postill, Small, Standivan, Trotter, Walker, Woodley
Beds & London: King                      Essex: Mitson, Wicker
Gloucestershire & London: Kear     Hampshire & London: Eldridge
Herts & London: Dawson                Lancs  & London: Fogg
Notts & London: Barber                  Oxfordshire & London: Hemmings
Suffolk & London: Turner                Wilts & London: Brown, Wilkins, Wise
Scotland: Allan, Insch, Stephens

Offline davidmilroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 March 22 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for these suggestions Annie. You are correct on the baptism date. I get what you say about no child named Alexander, though Isabella did have a brother with that name. And, yes I come across the spelling thing a lot in my tree. I always search under Waite, White and Whyte for this reason.

Offline davidmilroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 March 22 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi pandacub,
I haven't found any references to a Katherin (or variants) so far. I only have children for Alexander: Alexander (b.1780); David (b.1782); James (b.1784); Isobell/Isabella (b.1787); and George (b.1789).