Author Topic: Edward Charles Wilmer 1921  (Read 361 times)

Offline RoyW46

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Charles Wilmer 1921
« on: Thursday 10 March 22 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Good evening, can somebody help me please.

I have used RootsChat a number of times seeking information about my Family: Willard's.  I met up with an old school friend from over 60 years ago and have been helping her research her Father's life.

This man Edward Charles Willmer or Wilmer b.28.April.1908 had before WW2 worked with my Father: George Alfred Willard.  They both lived in Robertsbridge, Sussex, played sports together and were Miners at the Mountfield/Robertsbridge Gypsum Mines. 

Along with many men from Robertsbridge they volunteered for the Royal Sussex Regiment TA in April 1939.  Then in September 1939 enlisted in the Army, both went to France and were taken POW in the Arras area of France.

I have learnt a lot about my Father and E. C. Wilmer, but the 'grey' areas were the 1920s and 1930s.  I have just accessed the 1921 Census looking for E.C. Wilmer, but at first could not find him.

By various methods i tracked him down, there were at least two Transcription errors.  the first: his name on the Census was transcribed as Edward Charles Wilmes 15 years old, the second: where he lived with his 'adopted' family was shown as Nilebridge, Marden, Kent.  The correct name is Stilebridge Marden, Kent.

That aside I used the 1921 Electoral Roll for the Parish of Marden and was able to identify his adoptive parents and Family: Walter, George D and Eliza Ann Humphrey.

Then my query stopped, I could not establish where they lived in or at Stile bridge.  I could see that the Humphreys worked as Farm Labourers for: William Highwood of Hertsfield Farm, Marden but I do not know if they lived in premises owned by William Highwood or elsewhere at Stile bridge.

Can somebody advise me of the best course of action, where to look, what sort of records to search for etc.

I would appreciate any help
Thank you
Roy Willard

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Charles Wilmer 1921
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 March 22 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Street Directories, eg, Kelly's should show where they lived.

It might be worth contacting the Marden History Society

http://www.mardenhistory.org.uk/home/
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RoyW46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 March 22 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Bearkat

Thank you, I will follow your advice with Kelly's and the Marden History site.

Kind regards

Roy Willard

Offline RoyW46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 March 22 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Bearkat

Can you help please?
I tried to find Kellys for the Marden area of Kent, but I found it so complicated, I realised I did not know what I was doing.
Thank you
Roy Willard

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 March 22 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Not that it helps with your current research focus, but have you seen this newspaper article?

Hastings and St Leonards Observer
03 June 1944 (page 1)
"Corporal Edward C. Willmer, Robertsbridge. and Private Edward Sydney Whiteman, Brightling, were also taken, home ear by Mrs. Dannreuther to save ..."

Offline RoyW46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 March 22 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Hillhurst
Yes, a lot of my research has been through Newspaper Archives.  I found that information in two Newspapers.
Corporal Edward C. Willmer and Private Edward Sydney Whiteman were Repatriated in 1944.  One of the Newspapers carried a photograph of Corporal C. Willmer with his wife and children.
They both had been wounded.  The Red Cross was instrumental in their Repatriation.
Thanks for your help.
Roy Willard