Author Topic: David BROWN  (Read 439 times)

Offline wildcats13

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David BROWN
« on: Friday 11 March 22 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am trying to find the parents of David Brown, who was a convict that was convicted in Glasgow in 1788 of house breaking when he was 16 years old and sentenced to transportation for life with 7 years of service. The ship 'Pitt' with David aboard, sailed from Yarmouth on 17 Jul 1791 and he arrived in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia on 14th February 1792.
I have seen notes where he was possibly born in 1772 at Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland, and that he was a Soldier in the 74th Highland Regiment of Foot formed in Argyllshire under Major Ross. I understand that regiment didn't start until 1787, so would they have conscripted him at such a young age.
I also saw where he lived in 1783 in Glasgow, Scotland, but couldn't confirm that. I have also searched Scottish Peoples for David's birth details without being sure who were his parents.
Is it possible to obtain records from his court case that may shed some light on his history? I also found another note where he lived on 24th April 1788 in Glasgow, Strathclyde, Scotland!.

I have the details of his life in Australia where he married a Eleanor Fleming in 1800 in Parramatta, NSW, and later was successful in obtaining land and farming. They had 12 children
Eleanor arrived in Sydney on 28 Aug 1791 on the ship 'William and Ann' with her parents Joseph and Mary as free immigrants.
Eleanor's father Joseph was a soldier in the New South Wales Corps.

Hoping you can assist with some details about David's parents.
Wildcats13

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DAVID BROWN
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 March 22 08:35 GMT (UK) »
The trial papers are in the National Records of Scotland. Here is the link to the page in their online catalogue:

https://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/details.aspx?reference=JC26%2f1788%2f32&st=1&tc=y&tl=n&tn=n&tp=n&k=david+brown&ko=p&r=&ro=s&df=1787&dt=1790&di=y

Offline wildcats13

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: DAVID BROWN
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 March 22 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much, I will follow this up
Wildcats13