Author Topic: Help I have a medal which needs a home.  (Read 2446 times)

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help I have a medal which needs a home.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 March 22 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Hall was a Glasgow Territorial looks like he was commissioned  21 /1  1916

1/6th Batt HLI and Scottish Rifles (Cameronians)

Looking at the Medal Roll he may have been commissioned to 1st Garrison Battalion Scottish Rifles and sent to India in 1916 however it says cancelled and medals were issued in 1926

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 March 22 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure that T Hall isn’t a relative of some sort, maybe a more distant one, even from a different branch of the family? Unless your grandfather was a collector of medals? Or perhaps he was a family friend? I have WW1 medals awarded to a good family friend of a great aunt - he had no children. My aunt gave them to me many decades ago because she knew I liked “old” stuff.

I know of a mystery medal found amongst family possessions which turned out to belong to a second husband - none of the family had joined the dots.

It might be worth trying to find a connection between your family and T Hall. Make up a small family tree for THall and see if he had any descendants. Be mindful that they may not be interested in the medals - in which case they may be more appreciated by your family.

Offline Paul coney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 March 22 08:57 GMT (UK) »
No T Hall isnt in our tree. I had an uncle who decided to boost up the medals to make them more impressive when he wore his fathers medals on anzac day and the story goes he bought these 'pretty' ones from an antique shop to add to my granddads ones. I have had them removed as they were mounted with my grandfathers medal. so we only have the ones we are entitled too and now want to correct this by having them returned to the correct family.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 11 March 22 08:59 GMT (UK) »
No T Hall isnt in our tree. I had an uncle who decided to boost up the medals to make them more impressive when he wore his fathers medals on anzac day and the story goes he bought these 'pretty' ones from an antique shop to add to my granddads ones. I have had them removed so we only have the ones we are entitled too and now want to correct this by having them returned to the correct family.

Ok that makes sense. Nice of you to want to return them to family. I presume you are in Australia?

Offline Paul coney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 11 March 22 09:11 GMT (UK) »
no New Zealand

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 11 March 22 10:19 GMT (UK) »

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 11 March 22 11:24 GMT (UK) »
I believe that I have found what happened to Thomas Hall.

The Medal Rolls for the 1/6th Battalion Highland Light Infantry shows that he was commissioned on 21.1.1916 -- this lead me to searching for a Lieutenant Thomas Hall.

I found an obituary in the newspaper The Scotsman published on the 31st October 1917. It reads:

Lt. and Quartermaster Thomas Hall, H.L.I., who has died in Yorkhill War Hospital, Glasgow, was a native of Perth. His military service extended over a period of twenty-three years. He had served in India, Egypt and South Africa, and held the Queen's Medal with clasps and the King's Medal with clasps for service in the Boer War. He had been Lieutenant and Quartermaster since JANUARY 1916. He was with the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force in Gallipoli from May 1915 to October 1915, when he was invalided home, and the recurrence of trouble from an accident which had befallen him at the Dardanelles was the cause of his death. His remains were interred with military honours at Kilmarnock, where his widow resides. Prior to joining the Army he was a telegraphic superintendent with the Caledonian Railway

Two things in the above which points that this is Thomas Hall 1395, is the date he became a Lieutenant, January 1916 - ties in with his medal rolls entry. The second is that he was in Gallipoli, ties in with his medal rolls entry (theatre of war '2b') -- the obit says from May 1915 but his medal rolls entry states 2 July 1915.

The link below will take you to an obituary taken from the newspaper the Perthshire Constitutional and Journal, 7th November 1917. This will also show you his photograph.

https://eheilmann.com/2012/08/27/thomas-obituary/

The next link below will take you to FindAGrave where you will see that he does have a link to New Zealand, i.e. a notation reads Additional
Information:Son of William and Lydia Celina Hall; husband of Sarah Purdie Hall, of 22, Hauraki Rd., Takapuna, Auckland, New Zealand. Born at Perth.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/156026295/thomas-hall

Hope this assists the OP

Added -- Thomas Hall married Sarah Purdie Barnes in 1916 with the marriage taken place in the Kilmarnock area of Scotland. I have tried to find when Sarah emigrated to New Zealand but haven't found anything yet.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 11 March 22 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Outstanding AllanUK

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 11 March 22 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Excellent information Allan.  ;D