Author Topic: Wincanton shopkeepers 1820s  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Linus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Wincanton shopkeepers 1820s
« on: Friday 11 March 22 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Greetings all,

My 3G grandfather, George Bracher, had a grocery business in Wincanton from mid 1817 until about 1833.  During that time George and his wife Sarah had two sons, then Sarah died, then their youngest son, and about 18 months later George married Elizabeth Howes, the daughter of another Wincanton shopkeeper. Oh, and if it helps, George's grocery business had previously been owned by one Francis Stokes.

So, my questions are:

Is it possible to establish where George and John had their shops?  Rate books?  Old town maps? Anything!  And if so where am I going to find this information?

Sarah and their young son were both buried in the Chapel Ground of the Mill St Independent Church. Does the chapel building still exist, and is there a graveyard and perhaps even headstones?

Any help with this would be hugely appreciated.

Best from Downunder
Beaulock, Bracher, Bullock, Burgdorf, Burghard, Deans, Fryer, Hall, Hester, Hodgson, Hughes, Johnson

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wincanton shopkeepers 1820s
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 March 22 09:27 GMT (UK) »
A History of Wincanton Baptist Church
Mill Street,
Wincanton
Somerset

1829 – Present day
Wincanton Baptist Church began as a result of separation from the Independent (Congregational) Church.

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/SOM/Wincanton/WincantonBaptist

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 March 22 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Transcribed by me from a poll book for East Somerset A***y
poll year 1832; Hundred: Norton Ferris; Parish: Wincanton

Thomas Bracher, freehold house and garden, High Street
James Bracher, freehold house, High Street
George Bracher, freehold house, Market Place
William Bracher, occupier of house and lands, Bennet's farm; tithing

Scanning the other entries nearby there doesn't seem to be a separate category for shop, so it would appear that the Bracher shop was likely in Market Place.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 March 22 09:39 GMT (UK) »
https://maps.nls.uk/view/122163113

This is a link to a map at the National Library of Scotland site. I chose this one because it is a large scale map, but note that it is much later, published 1886. I don’t suppose however that the overall layout of the town had changed much so it is a good way to see the central location of Market Place.

Ive also searched for George Bracher in newspapers at BNA, but all I find is advertisements where he is listed as an agent for Sun Insurance.

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 March 22 09:47 GMT (UK) »
The History of Wincanton, Somerset, from Earliest Times to the Year 1903 by George Sweetman

https://archive.org/details/historywincanto00sweegoog/page/n4/mode/2up?q=bracher

This contains various references to 'Bracher', but a quick skim didn't reveal any obvious links to your questions. Perhaps you might find something however.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 March 22 09:47 GMT (UK) »
As well as the advertisements for insurance, there are also a couple of ads for an apprentice wanted (1820 and 1824).

Francis STOKES advertises earlier, however doesn't give an address of his premises in Wincanton (though he does in Salisbury - Silver St)

Interesting range of goods - tea, British wines, Turkish coffee ...  ;)

Offline Linus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 March 22 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond to my query.

Colin - Good to have the GENUKI link.  I will contact the Wincanton Baptist Church. Maybe they can help re the Bracher graves. I see on Google streetview that the Baptist school is near the top of Mill St and further down is another church like building.  Unfortunately the image is distorted but I can  read "chapel school" on the front gable.  Maybe that is the Independent Chapel?

Alan - I think there is little doubt that George Bracher in the Marketplace is our George and that house and shop were in the same building.  Do you have any record of John Howes? He was also a shopkeeper (draper I think) and became George's father-in-law. 

As for the newspapers, I have spent many many hours trawling the BNA. There is a great deal about George as the years roll on, but not much for his time in Wincanton.

Maddy - Yes I have the ads for apprentices.  Francis Stokes is interesting - his main business was in Salisbury where he was importing tea and coffee - still there I am told. George stayed in touch with the Stokes family all his life.

Once again thanks for taking the time to respond.
Beaulock, Bracher, Bullock, Burgdorf, Burghard, Deans, Fryer, Hall, Hester, Hodgson, Hughes, Johnson

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 March 22 12:19 GMT (UK) »
John Howes, draper, appears once in the 'History of Wincanton'. He is included in a list entitled 'Longevity in the Parish',  having died aged 82 on April 3rd 1857.

I imagine that this isn’t new information for you.

Offline Linus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 March 22 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Actually Alan it is new.  Well partly. I only have year of death for John Howes not the full date. And it's nice to have confirmation of his occupation.  I have him also described as "retired silk merchant". 

Thanks for all your help - much appreciated.

Best wishes from a very soggy East Coast DownUnder!