Author Topic: Scottish Look up please - Margaret Whittaker (or Whitaker)  (Read 593 times)

Offline tillyann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scottish Look up please - Margaret Whittaker (or Whitaker)
« on: Saturday 12 March 22 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I was wondering if someone could please look up Margaret Whittaker (it may be Margaret A Whitaker) born in 1832 (give or take a year). Her father was in the Kings Own Borders 25th Regiment of Foot and in a England Census it says she is born in Scotland. I have traced the regiment and I know they were in Paisley in 1832 and Glasgow in 1833. Her parents are Edmund Whitaker and Margaret Donough/Donohoe/O'Donoghue (spelled differently on every record I've found). Scotland's people search came up with a possibility for a Catholic Baptism but I don't subscribe to them as I'm not researching any other Scottish people.
Thanks for any help.
Whittaker (originally from Newchurch, Rossendale then Manchester) and Seel (Manchester).

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish Look up please - Margaret Whittaker (or Whitaker)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 March 22 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I was wondering if someone could please look up Margaret Whittaker (it may be Margaret A Whitaker) born in 1832 (give or take a year). Her father was in the Kings Own Borders 25th Regiment of Foot and in a England Census it says she is born in Scotland. I have traced the regiment and I know they were in Paisley in 1832 and Glasgow in 1833. Her parents are Edmund Whitaker and Margaret Donough/Donohoe/O'Donoghue (spelled differently on every record I've found). Scotland's people search came up with a possibility for a Catholic Baptism but I don't subscribe to them as I'm not researching any other Scottish people.
Thanks for any help.
There is a Catholic baptism of Margaret, daughter of Edmund Whittaker and Margaret Donocher, in Paisley on 16 October 1831.

You do realise, don't you, that Scotland's People is a pay-per-view site, not a subscription site?

Therefore anyone who is kind enough to look up that baptism on SP would have to spend their own money to do so.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline tillyann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 March 22 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Oh thank you and no I absolutely didn't! I've never searched for anyone in Scotland before so it was a one of. My apologies. I feel awful now. I had no idea.
It was very kind of you to do it all the same and I am very grateful.
Whittaker (originally from Newchurch, Rossendale then Manchester) and Seel (Manchester).

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 March 22 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Don't worry, I only looked at the index, which is free.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 March 22 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Image on findmypast Roman Catholic Baptismns
Margaret Ann Lawful daughter of Edmund Whittaker and Margaret Donocher born 16 Oct
Baptised 30 October 1831 sponsors William Dumprey ,Helen Kelly
Father is a private in the 25 Regiment

Rosie

Offline tillyann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 March 22 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Rosie. That's who I've been looking for!

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 March 22 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Rosie. That's who I've been looking for!

Your welcome  :)