Author Topic: DNA test kits go out of date?  (Read 946 times)

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie Louisa Jones of Aldon, great grandmother
    • View Profile
DNA test kits go out of date?
« on: Sunday 13 March 22 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am considering buying a couple of DNA test kits on special offer at the moment to take to South Africa in January 2023. Does anyone know if they have to be used within a certain time? Do they expire?
Thanks
Morgan, Wilcox, Hulbert, Olive - Gloucestershire; Diggines, Gill, Rivers, Bull, Powell, Howell - Bristol; Hulley, Cawood - Yorkshire and South Africa; Stedman,  Hamar, Luther - Shropshire; Staddon, Rawle, Richards, Kemp -  West Somerset; Jones - Bettws, Montgomeryshire and Mainstone, Shropshire; Williams - Beguildy, Radnorshire; Coleman - Kent; Gradwell, Strickland - Lancashire;  Moodie -  Orkneys; Montgomery - Armagh, Down and Kildare; Parke - Kildare and Wicklow; Brangan - Bandon, Cork.

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: DNA test kits go out of date?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 March 22 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Others will know more than me about the chemical bases into which you spit or whatever, but my understanding is that everything is pretty inert, so they shouldn't go off at all. Many people seem to hang onto these kits for years before using them (especially if they were given as a present).....
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Online bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 March 22 11:38 GMT (UK) »
I think there is a use by date.
A sister gave me a Ancestry DNA test kit for my 60 birthday and it took me over over 3 years before I decided to use it.
My sister had to organize a reissue as I couldn't register the DNA kit she gave me.
I forget or didn't know why I couldn't register it.

I don't think there was any extra cost involved with the reissue.

Mick.
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 March 22 12:00 GMT (UK) »
I would imagine they would go out of date, simply because the packaging that holds the swabs would have a date on them to assure that they are sterile. In the same way that plasters and bandages have us-by dates.

It would be quite a long length of time I would have thought though. Hopefully, somebody who has a kit can tell us. :)

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Online phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 March 22 12:42 GMT (UK) »
This is what Ancestry say:

DNA kits can be used for at least one year after the date of purchase, and often longer. If you’ve had a DNA test for more than a year and you haven’t sent in your saliva sample, activate the kit and send in your sample. If the test fails at the lab, we’ll replace your AncestryDNA kit.

https://support.ancestry.co.uk/s/article/Replacing-a-DNA-Kit#:~:text=DNA%20kits%20can%20be%20used,ll%20replace%20your%20AncestryDNA%20kit.

Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 March 22 12:48 GMT (UK) »
That's useful to know, Phil - particularly that they will replace them free of charge.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 March 22 13:41 GMT (UK) »
There are often special offers on (usually around US holidays) so you could look out for one nearer your departure date.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie Louisa Jones of Aldon, great grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 March 22 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the information - I think I'll wait to the Black Friday sales and get one nearer the time. Thanks all.
Morgan, Wilcox, Hulbert, Olive - Gloucestershire; Diggines, Gill, Rivers, Bull, Powell, Howell - Bristol; Hulley, Cawood - Yorkshire and South Africa; Stedman,  Hamar, Luther - Shropshire; Staddon, Rawle, Richards, Kemp -  West Somerset; Jones - Bettws, Montgomeryshire and Mainstone, Shropshire; Williams - Beguildy, Radnorshire; Coleman - Kent; Gradwell, Strickland - Lancashire;  Moodie -  Orkneys; Montgomery - Armagh, Down and Kildare; Parke - Kildare and Wicklow; Brangan - Bandon, Cork.

Online bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 March 22 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry.au has a St Patrick's Day sale until the 17th this month. With postage it's $120au.
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland