Author Topic: Thomas McDonnell and Rosanna Lynch  (Read 786 times)

Offline riannisuileabhain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas McDonnell and Rosanna Lynch
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 March 22 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Will keep that in mind. thanks Sinann

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 March 22 11:29 GMT (UK) »
would appreciate any tips on how to proceed without a marriage certificate for the two.

also forgot to mention i think this could be Thomas McDonnells father. a tragic death but my grandfather always mentioned his mothers family being chimney sweeps and steeplejacks from westmeath. this is the first record i’ve found with that occupation that matches.

death James McDonnell 19 Oct 1883

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1883/06344/4819550.pdf

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 March 22 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Would appreciate any help with Thomas McDonnell (b. c1858 Westmeath) and Rosanna Lynch (b. c1869 Meath).
Also, would them having such a large age gap maybe contribute to the fact they mightn't have married officially? 

A decade wouldn't have been considered a huge age gap. My Irish Granddad was 10 years older than both his wives, although he constantly adjusted his age on documents. There was likely a similar gap between his parents. 9 years between mine. Most of my (Irish) uncles married after age 30, wives were 2-10 years younger.
A man had to be able to support a wife, he may have had to wait years before he earned enough or took over a farm or had full-time work or could afford accommodation fit for a wife & child. He needed a wife young enough to bear several children.
Average ages at marriage rose after the Great Famine, couples in Ireland tended to marry young before then. Increase in average marriage age age was more in men.
Have you looked for a marriage outside Ireland?

Cowban

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 March 22 21:37 GMT (UK) »
yes, i didnt think the age would really be much of a deal to be honest, im just trying to theorise why they might not have married. ive looked for a marriage in both the UK and the US but no luck.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 May 22 06:28 BST (UK) »
For possible resolution, see this thread on Thomas' first wife:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=861924.0
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area